Does anyone remember a hard fudge (1970/80s) that was sold in a slab?

Does anyone remember a hard fudge from the 1970/80s that was sold in a slab in a similar pack to the Walker’s Toffee you can still buy now ?

I can remember what it tasted like, but can’t remember what it was called. Would love to try some again and the nearest I have come to finding a similar taste is Thornton’s butter tablet.

Have tried searching on the internet, but it is proving a little elusive as I can’t remember what it was called.

Hoping someone on SF remembers eating it too and can help put me out of my misery.

Thorntons used to do their fudge in a slab with sections marked out on it, it just came in a wrapper, not in bags like it does now, could it be that you are thinking of ?

Thanks Whitehorses, but wasn't Thornton's as I remember my mum buying it from an old fashioned sweetshop. Don't think Thorntons had made it to where I lived in the 70/80s.

Could it be Swiss Milk Tablet, a cross between fudge and toffee and much beloved of the sweet toothed Scots? Made with condensed milk, its sickly sweet but very morish.

http://www.scottishtabletcompany.co.uk/html/history.html

Oh yes Ms Macbeth, I love Scottish tablet. Better known in Scotland as Strathaven Toffee. My Dad used to make it, I have tried but never got the same result as him. You can buy it in that little sweety shop off the Lanes in Meadowhall.

Archived