Changing JSA allowance

is it instant payment?

i thought if you left a benefit and went back to it ud have to reapply and would take weeks?

It isn't an instant payment but if you have been on JSA then find a job then find yourself out of work within a certain time period (i think it's 12 weeks), there is a fast track system in place to save you going through all the original claim again.

I thought you could only clam JSA for six months, at least that's what they told me when it was stopped.

Is far as i am aware it doesn't 'stop'. It just changes to a different benefit. The government aren't going to let people walk the streets with nothing at all.

Just a thought and not to start an argument, just wondered if this could work. with all the "cuts" going on, i thought why not limit the amount of time you could claim Job seekers allowance for upto 2 years. then you cannot re claim for say 1 year. that way it would stop all the people who fall out of school etc, coming into the country and going onto JSA and just live on benefits. reason i say this is i have seen the documents job seekers sign to claim JSA and they agree to accept any role above minimum wage and within 1 and a half hours travel distance. which i really dont believe people claiming do. and before anyone says it i have been on JSA before but did actively look and accept work to get on benefits. but think how much this would save as JSA would be cut by 33 % each year!!!

But could it work?

No it couldn't work. After 2 years you are proposing making people either starve to death or turn to a life of crime.

What i think 'could' work is to give people food and clothing vouchers instead of cash. Take away luxuries and i believe most unemployed people would soon be looking that bit harder for a job.

It isn't an instant payment but if you have been on JSA then find a job then find yourself out of work within a certain time period (i think it's 12 weeks), there is a fast track system in place to save you going through all the original claim again.

thanks that explains why he only has a job for one week then back on jsa,then self employed for 3 weeks then back on jsa been like that since sept,

but everytime he does this he gets jsa allowance straight away yet causes csa weeks before they are notified and change of circumstances are issued hence a great way to avoid any csa payments from sept to now,

not much of a life tho is it?called playing the system,

After two years people should have to work to get their benefits ie if they haven't found a job then they should have to undertake work a bit like the community pay back scheme for offenders - you are told what to do

Are you Ian Duncan Smith? He has a similar idea, now government policy, to treat the unemployed as convicted criminals.

Forget courts and trial by peers, people who are unlucky to be without a job must be punished as criminals!

Are you Ian Duncan Smith? He has a similar idea, now governmeny policy, to treat the unemployed as convicted criminals.

Forget courts and trial by peers, people who are unlucky to be without a job must be punished as criminals!

No, i'm not IDS and I did not say to treat people like criminals - sorry if my example has upset you. However, I do believe that people should have to do some form of work for the benefits they receive if they haven't found work themselves after x amount of time.

This would have a range of benefits:

For those seriously looking for work

- the individual would be gaining new skills that could go on a CV (yes, they might be basic but they would 'fill a worklessness gap' on a CV)

- it would demonstrate to a future employer that the individual has had the commitment to do this kind of work - hopefully they would be able to get a reference from it too

- work routine - it would help the individual get back into a routine that includes work and having to work to times give by someone else and not just using their time to suit their own needs

- builds confidence, self-esteem and stamina where these might have dropped due to long-term worklessness

For the workshy

- they would get the above but mainly it would be a wakeup call that you can't just take benefits from the state and do nothing in return

I thought you could only clam JSA for six months, at least that's what they told me when it was stopped.

There are two versions of JSA - contribution-based (you've been working enough to pay enough stamps, or whatever they call them nowadays), which is payable whether you're poor or not, but only payable for six months; and income-based (you have no money to live on), which is payable for however long you need it.)

- the individual would be gaining new skills that could go on a CV (yes, they might be basic but they would 'fill a worklessness gap' on a CV)

Yes, employers are always impressed to see evidence of conscripted (forced) labour on a CV.

- it would demonstrate to a future employer that the individual has had the commitment to do this kind of work - hopefully they would be able to get a reference from it too

Again, any employer would be impressed that an unemployed person has been forced to work for no pay under threat of absolute poverty. I know I would.

- work routine - it would help the individual get back into a routine that includes work and having to work to times give by someone else and not just using their time to suit their own needs

Four weeks of unpaid work (which 'The Work' programme involves) once every twelve months will surely get the long term unemployed back into the routine of regular paid work.

- builds confidence, self-esteem and stamina where these might have dropped due to long-term worklessness

Yes, involuntary unpaid labour, doing unskilled jobs such as litter picking and graffiti cleaning (see 'The Work' programme) will not make drafted participants feel at all humiliated or depressed. The knowledge that the unemployed are being treated in a worse manner than convicted criminals can only raise spirits!

For the workshy

- they would get the above but mainly it would be a wakeup call that you can't just take benefits from the state and do nothing in return

It is also beneficial because it ensures that all of those lost public sector jobs, due to the Tory/Lib Dem cuts, are being filled by those who lost their job in the public sector (back when they received a salary for doing the exact same work they must now do for no pay).

This would have a range of benefits:

For the workshy

The only difference between the genuine long term unemployed and those 'playing the system' is a "wake up call"? Yet both goups are punished the same (in your view because they are "offenders").

Archived