Authority Vs insanity

Right here goes, I'm 29 and a half years old. Had my own home for 9 years, and have been driving for 6 years. I have had 3 babies which has left me with plenty of extra weight. I have had many super-stressful experiences which has given me the odd wrinkle or stray grey hair.

Just over a month ago I was leaving Morrisons Ecclesfield with a trolley full of shopping and my seven year old daughter when I thought Id grab a lottery ticket, to my utter shock the lady behind the counter asked me for ID, at first I laughed and thought it funny, but when I remarked "this is my seven year old daughter alongside me" I realised she was being completely serious when she replied "she looks more like your sister" (we do lookalike but there is 22 years between us) so I left empty handed and disgruntled.

Then late lastnight, my partner asked me if I'd nip out and fetch him a packet of ciggies, the local shop had closed as it was 10.45 so I hopped in the car and went to the Carlisle street filling station, when again to my surprise the loopy assistant asked me for ID. How crazy is that??? In a car at almost 11pm at night and still not convinced I was 16???

I've come to the conclusion that there is a reason for pecking orders, a reason that some people are born to lead and some are born to follow. Unfortunately our laws have given the followers the opportunity to exert some authority that they shouldnt have. Its utterly ridiculous that people who cant distinguish between a 15yr old and a 30yr old can be given the authority to refuse me the ability to buy what I please.

There have been reports of 75 year olds being asked for ID in some places!!

" the loopy assistant asked me for ID. How crazy is that??? In a car at almost 11pm at night and still not convinced I was 16???" - You have to be 18 (and sometimes look over 25, depending on shop rules) to buy cigarettes

Most stores operate an 'over 21' or 'over 25' policy, where if the assistant isn't convinced you are over a certain age, they have to ask. I'm 25 and get it all the time.

Maybe try taking your driving license with you when you buy age restricted products. Most 29 year olds would be flattered to asked for ID.

Personally I agree with it, if it stops or makes it difficult for those not old enough to buy cigs and/or booze.

2 years ago I was asked by a mate if I'd have an ann summers party in my house, I said yes for a laugh and on the day of the party I nipped to Asda Handworth for nibbles and 2 boxes of wine for my guests. I was asked for ID that day, but I was only 27 at the time and I know its over 25 on alcohol so that was more feasible.

Been told you look 15 at almost 30 is not feasible.

2 years ago I was asked by a mate if I'd have an ann summers party in my house, I said yes for a laugh and on the day of the party I nipped to Asda Handworth for nibbles and 2 boxes of wine for my guests. I was asked for ID that day, but I was only 27 at the time and I know its over 25 on alcohol so that was more feasible.

Been told you look 15 at almost 30 is not feasible.

But if that stores policy is to operate the 'Think 25' scheme on age restricted products, then you quite possibly do not look over 25.

Archived