Authority Vs insanity

so you need to be 16 to play the lottery, you need to be 18 to enter a pub and buy alcohol, I can understand the need for age proof here - what gives me pause for thought is the " you look to be under 25 policy" what is the legal requirment for the application of age 25?

so you need to be 16 to play the lottery, you need to be 18 to enter a pub and buy alcohol, I can understand the need for age proof here - what gives me pause for thought is the " you look to be under 25 policy" what is the legal requirment for the application of age 25?

There is nothing that you NEED to be 25 to buy, but look at all the 15 year olds who quite easily could pass for 21... It protects both these children from buying illegal items, as well as protecting the shop staff from unwittingly selling to minors.

All schemes like Challange 21 and Think 25 have done is led to age proof inflation.

Some cashiers are nothing more than autonomous robots unable to make their own judgements or discretion. For example, a shop assistant might be serving somebody that is going on for 30 like Bethsmummy (or older) but could pass for somebody in their mid-twenties, so going by the Think-25 they must ask for ID. The fact that they are blatently over 18 proves they have no common sense, because ultimately that is all it is for, to prevent sales to under 18's, so why harass people who are so obviously over 18?

A product of over bearing government nannying who don't think people are capable of checking if somebody is over 18 if they only suspect they might be under.

I'm with you Bethsmummy. Been going to my local co-op for a good 10 years now but low and bwhold, a couple of weeks ago I nipped in for some cigs on my way to take my son to school. The woman behind the counter, who knows me and my husband and 2 children decided that it was time ask me for ID. I told her to stop being ridiculous and get me my fags! Thankfully she did but I was quite wazzed off with her. I'm 32.

Even more unbelievable than that, on our way back from Wakefield one night we called in at the total garage (It was about midnight) at Darnall and the guy behind the counter refused to serve my husband with cigs. He's 41!!!! The world has gone mad!

Archived