Garden Birds Watching

This is the first year have have religously fed the garden birds. We now have bird feeders in both the front and back gardens. We started at first just geeting sparrows, lots of them. I then spotted a goldfinch feeding from a thistle and started putting our niger seed. Earlier this week I spotted 15 goldfinches feeding in the garden together, as I speak there are 5 greenfinches feeding on the peanuts. We have blue tits , great tits and coal tits regularly feed as well as starlings, blackbirds, chaffinches and robins.

On occasion we have had pheasants, wood pigeons, collared doves and even a woodpecker.

I'm looking forward to even more variety next year.

Congrats. I live in a tower block so unfortunately don't have a garden like I used to have as a child. However I have been lucky enough to have a Peregrine fly around the blocks. Also you may be aware that Sheffield and particularly Netherthorpe, Crookesmoor and Heeley is the top spot for winter Waxwings. I must have seen about 6 flocks last year including one flock flying past my window and especially brilliant was one flock of about 80 sat on the roofs and chimneys of various houses around Brook Hill roundabout.

If you are ever in the area keep any eye out for them, the area between Brook Hill and Waitrose along Hanover way is a a real hot spot!!

• 8 years later...

I have a good size garden and have put fat balls seeds and coconuts out for the tits but all I get is the magpies and wood pigeons they are a blubby nuisance they eat the lot. I also have a nest box in a far corner slowly getting covered in ivy, I didn't think any birds were in this year as I never heard or saw a blue tit, until I saw what I thought a dozen little birds all fluttering about around the box they didn't seem to know which way to go, they had red on their head, my eyes aren't so good now so couldn't tell what kind they were, but that made my day. also a lot of cats around here (grr)

Edited by orbs
spelling

I only have a small garden, but I've put up two bird tables and a couple of hangers. I find suet sprinkles are very popular. I don't have anything spectacular coming, mainly a robin, great tits, blue tits, coal tits, blackbirds, collared doves, thrushes, wood pigeons and magpies. I spend an hour every Saturday and Sunday morning using the bedroom as a hide. This may sound boring to a lot of people, but if you like birds, the excitement is never knowing what might turn up and the growing number of visitors as your garden becomes known as a feeding station.

I agree with you despritdan. I've been feeding the birds daily for about 10 years and nearly every year I'll get a species of bird coming into my garden that I've not seen before. I get all the usual suspects but last year I had a pair of nuthatches visiting the garden on a regular basis. This year from April to may I had 8 redpolls visiting and feeding on nyjer seed. And for the last month or so I've had a pair of bullfinches visiting daily. So if you like wildlife, it's worth making the effort to feed the birds on a regular basis and if you can afford it to put different types of bird food out.

• 4 years later...

We are quite keen bird watchers in our garden...and for the last week or two, we have seen great tits going in and out of one of the bird boxes....they seem to stay in there for quite a while at a time..

Surely they can't be thinking of laying eggs and nesting at this time of year?