Do you think there should be a cut off age for going to gigs and festivals

As the title says...Personally I love live music, but are gigs and festivals and stuff just for young people ? I guess the things I've been to have mixed age groups, and when I was about 18 or so, we used to look at oldies as we thought they were then, and wonder what they were doing there.The trouble with that was these oldies were probably only about 35 !

Considering 99.9% of the population under 40 years of age mainly listen to chart and neche music, you won't have very many people at live music fests if there was a top end cut off point.

i went to see MUSE when they were in Sheffield last time,i'm glad i went but came to the conclusion that it would be the last concert i would attend.

I'm too old.(early 40s)

But why are you too old VResistance? I was 40 last week and I still go to gigs and festivals. I've not been to many this year due to funds and circumstances, but last year I went to around 30 and the year before, 72!

I must admit, the last Leeds festival I went to nearly killed me but that was more to do with the fact I stayed up drinking and dancing until 6:30 and had a mile and a half hike to my car *back and forth twice with heavy bags* the following morning as I'd had to park in red car park miles away from my tent with the others in brown. By the time I'd packed up the car, I was cream crackered and found the rest of the Sunday a bit hard to fully enjoy and so left before Kings of Leon. But I think I would have been shattered at 20!

Just remember a stand up gig at Plug is not going to be the same at all as a sit down gig at the Arena and a festival is not the same as seeing someone at the Leadmill (still my favourite venue of choice)

Although KTHFB and I went to see Mark Morriss (Bluetones singer) recently at the Cockpit. We arrived there and the doorstaff couldn't find us on the list. Meanwhile we'd been commenting that Mark's audience had got really young since Scott Pilgrim. We were only trying to get into some Dubstep night. Mark was on at Cockpit 3.

But why are you too old VResistance? I was 40 last week and I still go to gigs and festivals. I've not been to many this year due to funds and circumstances, but last year I went to around 30 and the year before, 72!

I must admit, the last Leeds festival I went to nearly killed me but that was more to do with the fact I stayed up drinking and dancing until 6:30 and had a mile and a half hike to my car the following morning as I'd had to park in red car park miles away from my tent with the others in brown. By the time I'd packed up the car, I was cream crackered and found the rest of the Sunday a bit hard to fully enjoy and so left before Kings of Leon. But I think I would have been shattered at 20!

Just remember a stand up gig at Plug is not going to be the same at all as a sit down gig at the Arena and a festival is not the same as seeing someone at the Leadmill (still my favourite venue of choice)

Although KTHFB and I went to see Mark Morriss (Bluetones singer) recently at the Cockpit. We arrived there and the doorstaff couldn't find us on the list. Meanwhile we'd been commenting that Mark's audience had got really young since Scott Pilgrim. We were only trying to get into some Dubstep night. Mark was on at Cockpit 3.

Good on you :)

No way would i say people shouldn't go because they are too old,it's just a personal thing.

I don't think you can beat home alone with a CD on when it comes to listening to music,it might be because i don't "drink" anymore so never feel as relaxed in that situation as when i was doing it regular(when i was younger) and just wanna go home for a cup of tea.

Boring i know but i think i'm partied out.:gag:

I think we should still go. But just don't dance!! I've seen The Killers and The Editors over the last few years. Its good to move with the times. I tend to listen to current artists more than the older guys I grew up with and to be honest I find some of the elder statesmen a complete embarrassment. Look at Rod Stewart for God's sake he should change his name to Rod Sinatra. He is crap now but my favourite when I was young.

Younger bands write the best songs. Middle aged former icons just can't write great music anymore..IMO.

Archived