Remember the joke shop Glossop Rd.

When we were young uns in the 50s there was a brilliant joke shop down the small lane at the side of Glossop Road baths.We spent all our pocket money on magic tricks,itching powder,false dog turds,trump cushions,rubber warts,the old nail through the finger trick.My favourite was the stink bombs ,I had hours of fun with them at school trying to poisen the other kids Does anybody remember the old shop.:D

I went to the high class Girls School on Convent Walk! The joke shop was out of bounds for us. However one day myself and some friends bought some stink bombs, went into the fashion emporium on Coles Corner, through the revolving doors, and discreetly slipped the bombs under our shoes in the purfume departrment. We made a hasty retreat but returned a minute or two later to see the staff running round like headless chickens and the air filled with the most atrocious smell.

Not really funny but schoolgirl humour!!!

When we were young uns in the 50s there was a brilliant joke shop down the small lane at the side of Glossop Road baths.We spent all our pocket money on magic tricks,itching powder,false dog turds,trump cushions,rubber warts,the old nail through the finger trick.My favourite was the stink bombs ,I had hours of fun with them at school trying to poison the other kids Does anybody remember the old shop.:D

I remember the joke shop well that was on Convent walk is my memory playing me up was there also a cafe next to the shop and a chiropodist and opticians also wasn't it a bank that was on the opposite side of the road just a mention while in that area does anyone remember the opticians just around the corner at the top of Fitzwilliam st Shepherd's i think it was called i believe it was this shop that supplied the GREAT SIR GEOFFREY BOYCOTT with his contact lenses it was next to the hardware store and Raven pub :huh: .

• 3 years later...

I was thinking of this last night.

We used to call it "the Trick Shop"

Always remember the disappearing coin trick the owner showed me about 66 years ago.

Baffle my grand kids with it today.

There was a cafe nearby used to go in when i was about 15-16 and play Lonnie Donegan' Bury My body" on the juke box