I will NOT be filling in my Census!!

You'll still be living in a society if you break the rules. Look at Tony Blair. He led the counrtry into an illegal war, and....come to think of it, your right, he lives in a private estate with armed guards.

Yes, and IMO he shoud be done for it.

You do have a choice - fill it in or get a fine.

It's all part of living in a society - you know, following the rules

You can drive at 50 in a 30 zone, but you'll get a fine if you get caught. Is this bullying?

That's BS.

Most people comply with most laws (not speeding, killing people, stealing, rape, pay taxes etc), because those laws are in alignment with what they feel inwardly to be corrrect and right and true.

However, being compelled to do something (under threat of fine), you intrinsicly feel is wrong, is another matter.

Do you understand the difference here?

EDIT: Lets say, the law compells you to join the army, then sends you to war, then orders you to start killing people who you believe are innocent civillians. What do you do? Where do you draw the line? When do start following your own internal guidance of what you feel is right? (rather than just doing what you're told to, under threat of fine or imprisonment etc).

EDIT2: Also, it says you could get a fine, not will get one. I read somewhere, out of the 1.5 million people who did not comply with the 2001 census, there was something like 50 or 60 prosecutions.

We really need to get rid of this census nonesense; hope there isn't going to be a 2021 one. Just a waste of money, and only breeds resentment towards the government, and fuels social dysfunction.

I thought in a democracy, government is supposed to represent the will of the people? When was the survey, if we should have a census or not?

That's BS.

Most people comply with most laws (not speeding, killing people, stealing, rape, pay taxes etc), because those laws are in alignment with what they feel inwardly to be corrrect and right and true.However, being compelled to do something (under threat of fine), you intrinsicly feel is wrong, is another matter.

Do you understand the difference here?

EDIT: Lets say, the law compells you to join the army, then sends you to war, then orders you to start killing people who you believe are innocent civillians. What do you do? Where do you draw the line? When do start following your own internal guidance of what you feel is right? (rather than just doing what you're told to, under threat of fine or imprisonment etc).

But most people comply with sending the census form back. it's only a few conspiracy types who seem to have an issue with it.

What is wrong with providing the government with (pretty bland) information about your lifestyle that helps them better understand society and plan services?

The census is an important source of historical data.

Think of your family in 100 years time or whenever. They might might want to look up what Great Grandad/Granny did for their job, where they lived, who they lived with etc.

Loads of people do this and without this factual data they would not be able to trace their ancestors.

The census is an important source of historical data.

Think of your family in 100 years time or whenever. They might might want to look up what Great Grandad/Granny did for their job, where they lived, who they lived with etc.

Loads of people do this and without this factual data they would not be able to trace their ancestors.

The census is not there for your future relatives to look up what job their grandad smilie did back in the day, I can assure you of that!:hihi:

Family photos and archives are for that purpose, don't depend on the government.;):)

But most people comply with sending the census form back. it's only a few conspiracy types who seem to have an issue with it.

My feeling is that it's more widespread than just a few consiracy types. Would be interesting to do a quick poll though, for vs against, kinda thing. I wonder if we could have one on here?

What is wrong with providing the government with (pretty bland) information about your lifestyle that helps them better understand society and plan services?

I guess different people have different objections, and I can only speak for myself.

For me, the core issue, is that the goverment is holding a gun to my head (threat of fine), and demanding that I provide information. My conscience, and my heart and gut, tell me it ought not to being that. It's intrusive, and menacing, and I do not believe *our* govenment should be acting in this way.

So essentially, it's demanding, that I do something, that I feel is wrong. It doesn't matter so much, exactly why I feel it's wrong, it's enough for me that I do feel that way. As such, I cannot at the same time, comply with their demands, and, act in acordance with my conscience. So, I feel some kind of resistance is called for.

The matter (for me) is futher complicated, by the fact that other people are in my household, who may not feel as I do. I'm not making any kind of demands that other people take the same position as I do (to do so would be wrong). It complicates the issue of do I send the form back, or not...

With respect Sausage Dog, you don't have your own opinion. You are saying and doing exactly what the government want.

Read Waldo's posts they make perfect sense.:);)

We'll have to disagree - if you check my post history, you'll see that I'm no fan of this government, or the last.

But I just don't see a problem with filling in a form.

Here's a question. The government planners want to know where population increases are so that they can plan on where to build new schools (yes I know this is a bit far fetched with the current incumbents). How can they do this if they don't have details of where people are living? You can't just use birth records because people move and immigration won't be picked up.

My feeling is that it's more widespread than just a few consiracy types. Would be interesting to do a quick poll though, for vs against, kinda thing. I wonder if we could have one on here?

I guess different people have different objections, and I can only speak for myself.

For me, the core issue, is that the goverment is holding a gun to my head (threat of fine), and demanding that I provide information. My conscience, and my heart and gut, tell me it ought not to being that. It's intrusive, and menacing, and I do not believe *our* govenment should be acting in this way.

So essentially, it's demanding, that I do something, that I feel is wrong. It doesn't matter so much, exactly why I feel it's wrong, it's enough for me that I do feel that way. As such, I cannot at the same time, comply with there demands, and, act in acordance with my conscience. So, I feel some kind of resistance is called for.

The matter (for me) is futher complicated, by the fact that other people are in my household, who may not feel as I do. I'm not making any kind of demands that other people take the same position as I do (to do so would be wrong). It complicates the issue of do I send the form back, or not...

But they do exactly the same with tax returns. Do you/would you object to sending that in?

Archived