I will NOT be filling in my Census!!

I'm very sure a census can and will be used for much more than that, I very much doubt that all of the info gathered and what it could infer and the ways in which that info is used are ever revealed fully to the public.

I have a sneaking suspicion that lots of information gleaned from census forms will be sold. or lost, probably both.

What possible personal info on the census form are people upset about?

Government already know where you live, where you work.

All these people that say I'm not filling it in make me laugh, and most will have a FB account with personal info, prob what they do for a living, loads of photo's etc, even on this very forum, most will have revealed information about themselves in some way or another.

Anyone who is technically minded would be able to source out where you are with your IP address, either from on here or various other sites, and if they wanted could post away on here, telling you where you live, work, who you live with, what car you have, all sorts of things.

The Census is for what has been said, and thats to collect statistical data, which companies may/will use, but no personal info is released, not even to governing bodies.

I bet that all those on here who have said they are not filling it in, that you will do in the coming weeks.

Collecters will be knocking on your door from 6th April asking if you have filled it in.

Now let's get one thing straight, The Collectors could not give a hoot if you fill it in or not (they are getting paid to call at your place) and will visit you up to 3 times.

So think of tax payers money you are wasting by not filling it in.

Again the collectors are there to do a job and that's to chase up the numpties who can't be bothered to fill it in, they will help people fill it in if asked by the householder.

The Collectors are only employed for a few weeks to chase you people around, they will be on 25 hrs a week get £8.02 per hour plus 45p for every mile they travel, so a nice little earner, and another reason they ain't bothered because you people are wasting tax payers money.

After the third visit, or if you give a flat refusal, then that will be passed on to another team who are on even higher wages, who will call at your home, YOU wasting more tax payers money, but eventually YOU will fill it in, or risk being fined up to £1000 and possible court costs.

Will be interesting to see what happens over the coming months.

What possible personal info on the census form are people upset about?

Government already know where you live, where you work.

All these peo.. snip snip snip ..over the coming months.

If they know already, why would they ask?

If they are going to treat it all confidentially, why insert so many clauses?

if you think the govenment, NOS or otherwise could manage to actually keep data safe -mundane as it all might be is not the point- then dream on.

in case you need reminding how lax they are with others information

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=uk+government+loses+data

will I fill it in? no. my mrs no doubt will, would I rather she didn't? yes.

will I fill it in? no. my mrs no doubt will, would I rather she didn't? yes.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

The Census is nothing to do with governing departments who want your name, even the Prime Minister under freedom of speach, can not view the forms.

As I said purely for stats.

Example Sainsburys may use data to stock food in a particular store if for example a large population of Polish living there.

The Personal details will not be released for 100 years, if you search the net you will not find any personal info from a previous census other than 1911 and earlier, think about it, if you wanted to trace your family tree, would'nt it be nice to be able to source your great grand parents, where they worked, if they had a car etc?

You may not be bothered about tracing your great grand parents, but in generations to come, they might want to.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

The Census is nothing to do with governing departments who want your name, even the Prime Minister under freedom of speach, can not view the forms.

The forms are destroyed. You are thinking, not of Freedom of Speech, but Freedom Of Information (FOI), which is irrelevant, as the data falls under the aegis of the Data Protection Act and the ICO.

Thus:

No doubt ONS officials will vociferously state that there will be no such disclosure and that confidentiality is an absolute. This is technically correct as they can argue that the fact that Section 39(4) has disclosure provisions does not mean the Census personal data will actually be disclosed. However, it is also very clear that personal census information can be disclosed, with a considerable degree of secrecy, almost at the whim of ONS senior managers. And it is the existence of this possibility which is, quite frankly, unacceptable.

Ministers, if they want, can easily clarify the relationship between Section 39(4) disclosures and the personal details collected in the Census. Indeed, the "Protection of Freedoms Bill", currently under debate in Parliament, provides a vehicle to table an amendment that absolutely protects the Census personal details from such disclosures.

Any failure to make this necessary legislative change, or to make a statement concerning the application of section 39(4), provides evidence that the government is not prepared to commit itself to ensuring the confidentiality of the 2011 Census. In which case, the promise that "Your personal information is protected by law. Census information is kept confidential for 100 years"... is worthless.

So how many fellow sf'ers didn't fill in their census I didn't.

Flowersfade, do yourself a favour fill it in because they will chase it up, I know because I delivered them at previous census in 2001 and you don't want to pay fine and finish up in court. There is no information on there that most agencies don't already know. Council have peoples addresses, employer or employment office have your details, the bank has your details. You pass on information on here, check though form and see where there is any information that you haven't already passed on. It assists us all and helps you find your ancestors. It certainly helped my family find things out about our grandparents both on mothers and fathers side:D:love:

Archived