I will NOT be filling in my Census!!

Are you threatened with a fine if you don't have/need/want/open a bank account?

No but people are objecting because of invasion of privacy and not wanting to give out information that they have already voluntarily and freely passed on to others, so what is the problem?

No but people are objecting because of invasion of privacy and not wanting to give out information that they have already voluntarily

That's not my argument. My argument is against the financial penalty threatened for non compliance.

so what is the problem?

The fact that you're threatened with a fine if you don't fill it in (which is why it is totally different to a bank account).

That's not my argument. My argument is against the financial penalty threatened for non compliance.

The fact that you're threatened with a fine if you don't fill it in (which is why it is totally different to a bank account).

So basically (correct me if I'm wrong) your refusing to do it, because of what they say they'll do if you refuse to do it :|:loopy:

Interestingly you have not ignored my opinion. I find linking the census to the above and Rosa Parks in particular as Cavegirl did quite disgusting.

You're taking what I said out of context here. I didn't say that people like me who refuse to fill in their census are making a stand as important as the one Rosa Park's made with regard to equal rights for the black community.

What I actually did was accuse you of believing that the only decent protest was one that was covered on the mainstream media and involved lots of people. I made the reference to Rosa Parks because she quietly made a stand on her own and without being told that it was ok to do so, in other words she didn't wait for the masses, she just did what she believed was right. In this sense, it is similar to the individual quietly made protests that are happening up and down the country in terms of the census.

I'd appreciate it if you would actually read my statements before judging or criticising them, but something tells me you probably won't.

So basically (correct me if I'm wrong) your refusing to do it, because of what they say they'll do if you refuse to do it :|:loopy:

It's the method not so much the result. I'll quite happily pay the fine, I can afford it. Some who wish to make a stand may not be so privileged.

What I find more interesting is why those on here feel they need to wish their will on others?

So basically (correct me if I'm wrong) your refusing to do it, because of what they say they'll do if you refuse to do it

Yes, because I don't consent to the statute. Civil disobedience is one of the best forms of peaceful protest against unjust "laws" (a stance advocated by one Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, no less).

Yes, because I don't consent to the statute. Civil disobedience is one of the best forms of peaceful protest against unjust "laws" (a stance advocated by one Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, no less).

It might just be me but that reason sounds a little silly.

So you'd take part if there was nothing saying that there would be a fine if you didn't take part?

When you say that it really does just sound like because there's a alternative to taking part - not taking part - that involves a punishment, your going against it JUST because it exists. It's a poor reason really, especially when you look at the POTENTIAL benefits of completing the census.

I don't know; I've not been given an option.

As has been said, chances are hardly anyone will be fined.

Personally I think the threat of a fine is just there for just that, a threat. If there was no fine and people could just throw it away, most people would, because it doesn't seem important and it'd get forgotten about, this would waste loads of money and corrupt results and then the government would have to spend more money using other methods to get right results.

I really don't think the fine is there to say 'do it.. OR ELSE..' so I still can't see a option. Right, so the government need these results, all up to date and about a particular single day, who is where etc and how many are there. How would you get this information without using the census? There isn't any other way really, unless people went round personally to every single house and asked the questions directly, but still people might refuse.

Archived