I will NOT be filling in my Census!!

What do you think the fine is there for then?

In bold ;)

As has been said, chances are hardly anyone will be fined.

Personally I think the threat of a fine is just there for just that, a threat. If there was no fine and people could just throw it away, most people would, because it doesn't seem important and it'd get forgotten about, this would waste loads of money and corrupt results and then the government would have to spend more money using other methods to get right results.

I really don't think the fine is there to say 'do it.. OR ELSE..' so I still can't see a option. Right, so the government need these results, all up to date and about a particular single day, who is where etc and how many are there. How would you get this information without using the census? There isn't any other way really, unless people went round personally to every single house and asked the questions directly, but still people might refuse.

If there was no fine and people could just throw it away, most people would, because it doesn't seem important and it'd get forgotten about

Which highlights how unimportant the census is viewed.

this would waste loads of money and corrupt results and then the government would have to spend more money using other methods to get right results.

Information that is readily available to the government.

I really don't think the fine is there to say 'do it.. OR ELSE..'

So what other reason is there for a fine for non-compliance?

Right, so the government need these results, all up to date and about a particular single day, who is where etc and how many are there.

They don't need the information; they want it (to the point where they make threats against the people they are supposed to represent).

Which highlights how unimportant the census is viewed.

Yes, people may view it as unimportant because they don't know what it is used for. Who can know what it will be used for, because pretty much anyone can use the information on it, but they still say it can make a impact in the area you live. There isn't much more they can say than that, so people who don't know much about the census don't know what it's used for, and it's a lot easier to just fill it in and send it back without reading loads (at the cost of millions more to whoever carries out the census) of more material that outlines what the census is used for!

It IS important though, no matter what people think of it, it's important, which is why they try to be strict with it.

Information that is readily available to the government.

Already gone over this, but go on, enlighten me as to how they already have exact information about who lives where, how many people live in certain area, what type of heating they have etc etc etc?

So what other reason is there for a fine for non-compliance?

Answer the above and try again first :)

They don't need the information; they want it (to the point where they make threats against the people they are supposed to represent).

They DO need it, as I've said I'm not a expert on the census but from what I've read up and found out by asking law students/teachers today they all say it's by demand of the EU (or part of it, eurostat) the actual census itself isn't, but much of the information the census gets is given to eurostat. That is why they need it, but they want it too, obviously for the countries benefit, who else is it benefiting? It's all to help us so what is the problem!

So why make the threat in the first place?

A threat is a threat (regardless of whether you intend to fulfil it or not).

Getting a bit repetitive, it's all in the post I've posted and quoted all on this page.

What would happen if they didn't make the threat? The census would fall apart.

What happens if they make the threat? A few fools (I am not personally calling you fools, it's just generally how people come across when they explain reasons for refusing) refuse to take part and they can then fine them for affecting the results of the census.

What other option do they have? < asked this already, still waiting for a answer :/

Getting a bit repetitive, it's all in the post I've posted and quoted all on this page.

What would happen if they didn't make the threat? The census would fall apart.

What happens if they make the threat? A few fools (I am not personally calling you fools, it's just generally how people come across when they explain reasons for refusing) refuse to take part and they can then fine them for affecting the results of the census.

What other option do they have? < asked this already, still waiting for a answer :/

A few fools crumble and fill it in for fear of getting a fine.

Archived