I will NOT be filling in my Census!!

Yes they have. I have personally answered this question twice now (though some people seem to have simply disregarded it). One of my replies was in answer to yourself on page 29).

Go back to page 17, and you'll find quite a list of methods that are available to the government to find this information.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=750535&page=17#328

Yes, and you'll see that I replied back to that disregarding it because it'd be a harder method than the census purely because of timing and the fact it's personal information, so you'd be giving a company access to loads of personal information about you, so your happy to do that than just fill the census in?

It wouldn't work anyway. AS I'VE JUST SAID. From those records how will you know who lives where, how many live there, what heating they have, whether they're employed or have been looking for employment etc etc.

I actually forgot about that question - about employment - so if loads of people locally have been looking for employment and are not employed then that could help us a lot. Add that to the list of things that filling in the census could do for us...

The conservatives seem to think there are easier methods for getting the data (they want this one to be the last census in the UK, ever - so there must be other routes to get the same information)

Still doesn't really answer the question though, they may know a way but no one else seems to.

I wouldn't expect everyone/anyone to fill it in.

You need the data though, so your spending millions sending them out then expecting them to not fill it in. Waste. You then still need the data, as I've said, for eurostat.

Try again :)

Add that to the list of things that filling in the census could do for us...

Don't need to (they have DSS records and TAX and NI). The same data could be extrapolated from the current data banks.

so your spending millions sending them out then expecting them to not fill it in.

£170,000,000 to a warmongering company. That's a waste. They could have saved 170,000,000 by obtaining the data from other sources (something that the conservatives seem to think possible - or are you now saying that you know more than the government)?

BTW. Eurostat only requires a subset of that which is included in the UK census.

Don't need to (they have DSS records and TAX and NI). The same data could be extrapolated from the current data banks.

There are HUNDREDS of different data banks, literally hundreds, so they need to give someone access to all those databanks, extract 10's of millions of records, link them all up, get the data they need (this is already probably breaking loads of data protection laws (or rules :roll: ) ) then compile it and THEN start making a report out of it, and you expect that to work better than the census? No missing records or links, no loss of data, no errors in what comes out, your relying a LOT on computers and human verification, a hell of a lot could go wrong with this. Whereas with the census, the data comes straight from the household and it's put straight through into computers (a lot of which is probably already done with the online census!

£170,000,000 to a warmongering company. That's a waste. They could have saved 170,000,000 by obtaining the data from other sources (something that the conservatives seem to think possible - or are you now saying that you know more than the government)?

Read above. Now your putting words into my mouth as well, I'm not saying I know more than the government, your actually saying the conservatives have said themselves that they can get the data from other sources (they could have, I don't know, just asking. They may mean they will create a alternative to the census, purely computer based, or stations in each local area with computers for people to fill it in, or JUST the eurostat questions online or something, which is what you want I guess. But that means they now don't have the whole amount of data they would have originally had access to, so now we're not benefiting from the investment.

BTW. Eurostat only requires a subset of that which is included in the UK census.

Fair enough, but still, they need the data and they get it from the UK census.

One way that the government could get everyone to fill out the forms is to declare that anyone who doesn't will be knocked off the welfare and dole lists.

Quite reasonable really since if you dont submit the form then you dont exist anymore

One way that the government could get everyone to fill out the forms is to declare that anyone who doesn't will be knocked off the welfare and dole lists.

Quite reasonable really since if you dont submit the form then you dont exist anymore

Good idea, but that still wouldn't please the people against it, because it's a punishment (rightly so), but it'd probably be more effective!

People don't seem to grasp the fact that punishments exist to stop people doing what they shouldn't do. You get a fine if you don't fill it in because you are going against what you should do, which is fill it in, because it helps this country!

The same applies for pretty much all punishments, even tiny minor ones, if you speed you get a fine because you've gone past the limit which has been set, you've done what you shouldn't do.

Is it that hard?

Ha! This thread is ridiculously laughable.

manofstrad - are you the sort of person who stole penny sweets when you were 12 and then went bragging to your mates? Not filling in a census form, seesh, whats next - murder?

I bet you go to bed with a tin foil hat on so the government can't steal your thoughts.

Archived