Dead body in the River Don

old tup

Back in the early 60s I used to finish work at lunch time this certain day Id had dinner and decided to go down town to buy a shirt and tie[smart lad].As I drove out of the yard I noticed a crowd on the old stone bridge at the back of Bassets being a nosey get I walked up there .I knew a couple of them.They pointed to the other side of the weir in the Don;it looked like a large white sheet of something we all walked round to it;just then the plod turned up in a van;straight away they took out a rope with a grappling hook and lobbed it at the white object.I forgot to mention it was February with snow on the ground;they pulled the rope and the body turned over;it was completely naked,it broke free and floated in the current into the deep water towards the power station.After a few tries the plod pulled him to the bank.our old man and workmates turned up ;the coppers said [Could someone help us pull him out]Everone jumped back en masse;then my unfeeling father grabbed the arms of the body and heaved it out, The poor sod must have weighed 18 stone;as he was on the bank an old lady pushed through and had a good look,never turned a hair and walked off.It turned out he had been in the water 3 days,he was from Middlewood Hospital and he jumped in at Beeley Woods;his clothes were found there.

• 11 months later...

Archived