Let the riots begin

Guest sibon
So what have the latest lot of politicians learnt from the mistakes of the 80's? And will the cycle continue again in the next 30 years?

Mostly, they have learned what they can get away with.

We can expect them to continue pushing these boundaries with expenses rules, boardroom favours and advisory roles. We can also expect to continue paying the bill for this collusion.

As for how to improve society... diddly squat.

So what have the latest lot of politicians learnt from the mistakes of the 80's? And will the cycle continue again in the next 30 years?

The Tories quite clearly haven't learnt a thing because they are following the same ideology as Mrs Thatcher. You could argue that after 18 years in opposition Labour learnt something because they changed their's a little when they went New.

Either way there will always be riots when the majority of the worlds wealth is owned by such a small minority.

In the 70's, Thatcher took over the mess left by Callaghan.

Last year, Cameron and Clegg took over the even bigger mess left by Brown.

Who is it who hasn't learned?

Why did Brown leave the country in such a mess?

If Labour had won the last General Election (and perhaps it's a pity they didn't - they dug the hole, they should have to fill it in) would things really be much different?

What exactly would Milliband do which would be different to that done by Cameron and Clegg?

When asked whether he would reverse the tuition fees increases (recommended by a review body sponsored by the previous government) he was unwilling to commit himself.

When asked whether he would scrap the cuts proposed by this government, he was unwilling to commit himself. (Had he tried to water down the cuts significantly and had potential creditors put pressure on him, would he have given in? - We can only guess. And I know what my guess would be.)

No party is talking about repaying the debt mountain - that will be left to our grandchildren and their children.

The present government is talking about reducing (and perhaps eventually eliminating) the annual overspend - not reducing the overdraft.

If they reverse course, those who lend us the money we overspend each month will require higher interest rates (and may insist that the loans be denominated in another currency.)

That alone would increase the overdraft.

Guest sibon

No party is talking about repaying the debt mountain - that will be left to our grandchildren and their children.

The present government is talking about reducing (and perhaps eventually eliminating) the annual overspend - not reducing the overdraft.

Indeed. It isn't the intention that is the problem, but the method.

A middle income family with two University aged kids will have lost about £30k under this Government. Meanwhile, the bankers make a fortune and we are reduced to overtaxing the oil companies... who at least produce real wealth.

In the 70's, Thatcher took over the mess left by Callaghan.

Last year, Cameron and Clegg took over the even bigger mess left by Brown.

Who is it who hasn't learned?

Why did Brown leave the country in such a mess?

If Labour had won the last General Election (and perhaps it's a pity they didn't - they dug the hole, they should have to fill it in) would things really be much different?

What exactly would Milliband do which would be different to that done by Cameron and Clegg?

When asked whether he would reverse the tuition fees increases (recommended by a review body sponsored by the previous government) he was unwilling to commit himself.

When asked whether he would scrap the cuts proposed by this government, he was unwilling to commit himself. (Had he tried to water down the cuts significantly and had potential creditors put pressure on him, would he have given in? - We can only guess. And I know what my guess would be.)

If they reverse course, those who lend us the money we overspend each month will require higher interest rates (and may insist that the loans be denominated in another currency.)

That alone would increase the overdraft.

totally agree rupert

...me too. Its a pitty all the morons who have been stomping round London don't realise that...

I particularly feel angry about the ones who insisted on dragging their poor children around London as a way of trying to "make a statement". They should know full well that it was going to kick off..... why the hell would you put a child in that situation.

As for the publicity seeking UK Uncut prats... causing a scene in Fortnum & Mason - that really made me laugh out loud. Causing a nuisance is what is nothing much more than a sweet shop and tourist attraction! hmmm think their aim was a bit off. Noticed they left Harrods alone.

So what have the latest lot of politicians learnt from the mistakes of the 80's?

Well considering how little the voters have learned.....

They still play the old left/right game as if it matters anymore.

Conservative voters, Labour voters, you're all just peasants to your bankster masters and their political puppets.

If people realized that continually borrowing like this is simply stealing productivity from the future to squander it now, perhaps they might consider the immorality of it all.

"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

Thomas Jefferson

But repay the debt? We're so hooked on government spending that we can't even par down our national overdraft (deficit) let alone begin to pay back our debt.

...me too. Its a pitty all the morons who have been stomping round London don't realise that...

They perceive the symptoms (cuts) but only dimly perceive the reasons behind them.

Why can't they have their free money anymore? It's just not fair!

Clearly the government is being nasty and wicked for no good reason. After all, Labour wouldn't be doing this to us.

Alistair Darling: we will cut deeper than Margaret Thatcher

We should follow the splendid examples set by Greece, Portugal and Ireland. Spend, spend, spend until it all runs out, then get a bailout.

I particularly feel angry about the ones who insisted on dragging their poor children around London as a way of trying to "make a statement". They should know full well that it was going to kick off..... why the hell would you put a child in that situation.

As for the publicity seeking UK Uncut prats... causing a scene in Fortnum & Mason - that really made me laugh out loud. Causing a nuisance is what is nothing much more than a sweet shop and tourist attraction! hmmm think their aim was a bit off. Noticed they left Harrods alone.

Why would you draw attention to their leaving Harrods alone? I'm curious?

If people realized that continually borrowing like this is simply stealing productivity from the future to squander it now, perhaps they might consider the immorality of it all.

Have you got a pension, a mortgage, a car loan …………… steeling from the production of the future …….. the immorality of it all ………… :D

Archived