Is cremation environmentally friendly ?

• 8 months later...

Has anyone heard of the most environmentally friendly way....

Natural Burial Grounds (Search for NativeWoodland.co.uk on google for the best examples of natural burial grounds)

Everything that is buried is biodegradable and there are no headstones or grave markings so the landscape is preserved.

It really is the way forward.

Natural Burial Grounds (Search for NativeWoodland.co.uk on google for the best examples of natural burial grounds)

Everything that is buried is biodegradable and there are no headstones or grave markings so the landscape is preserved.

How does that save land compared to a normal cemetery.(I relaise I may be talking to a bot but you never know)

How does that save land compared to a normal cemetery.(I relaise I may be talking to a bot but you never know)

Not a bot I'm afraid

Well it doesn't impact on the land... it looks no different to how it would if it just stayed as a meadow being used for grazing, not filled with headstones and everything else that people put in cemeteries and crematoriums

Not a bot I'm afraid

Well it doesn't impact on the land... it looks no different to how it would if it just stayed as a meadow being used for grazing, not filled with headstones and everything else that people put in cemeteries and crematoriums

Glad you're real.. :) Seemed a strange subject for a first post...my point was that burial uses quite an area of land,I understand the sympathy with nature part but still seems to be a waste of land....what are the rules regarding it's use? How many years is it "locked away" for for example..?

gets my vote!

Maybe a strange subject for you but its everyday for me... came across the post when researching for the website.

It does use quite a lot of land, but ideally we don't want the 'green belt' and areas of outstanding natural beauty to be put to use for development and expansion of towns and cities. And natural burial grounds help protect the land from this without making any changes to the land. There is a lease held with landowners for 99 years, after this it will remain as part of the estate and used for sheep grazing and hay. Also throughout this lease, it continues to be used for sheep and hay.

Have we ever thought about the environmental impact of our bodies being cremated ?

How amount the energy ( or is it Gas ) used / wasted to barbecue our dead ?

Wouldn't burial be more sound ?

Which is cheaper from the two ?

No , a woodland burials the most environmentally friendly.

Have we ever thought about the environmental impact of our bodies being cremated ?

How amount the energy ( or is it Gas ) used / wasted to barbecue our dead ?

Wouldn't burial be more sound ?

Which is cheaper from the two ?

A burial can be cheap if that is a deciding factor... Cardboard coffins/wicker coffins bought directly off the supplier, using an estate car/camper van instead of the Funeral Director's hearse and +1 (limousine) can save cost, no church ceremony or venue, just a grave side ceremony. There are ways of cutting down the cost, it just depends on each person and their own preferences

Glad you're real.. :) Seemed a strange subject for a first post...my point was that burial uses quite an area of land,I understand the sympathy with nature part but still seems to be a waste of land....what are the rules regarding it's use? How many years is it "locked away" for for example..?

you could grow some pretty good vegetables on top, though maybe root veggies

Archived