Why are people moaning about the census?

Maybe they don't believe that the state always has their personal best interests at heart.

I mean, isn't the state always giving your money away to undeserving scrotes, immigrants, criminals and Europe?

Well that's a point of view but it's a million miles away from oppression since we vote in the politicians.

The irony is many people in the poorest areas will fail to complete the census out of idleness or fear and they are the ones who need the census the most.

A lot of kidults seem to have a teenage suspicion of the state, that it is an evil entity despite providing us with healthcare, education and protection. They refuse to help the state do its job better while enjoying the benefits of a strong modern state. Work that one out.

My great grandmother filled out her census in the 1920's.

Five years later somone looked up the religion field and as a reward for filling it in correctly then tattooed a number on her forearm as a reward.

That was a strong modern state that gave them benefits and looked after them till some Austrian upstart got into power.

The incessant moaning about the census only reflects the growing suspicion of authority in this country, the ironic thing about this suspicion is that it seems to be built upon nothing more than ignorance.

When you take into account; the DNA database, the unnecessary and draconian terrorist laws that are used against anyone, the proliferation of CCTV cameras watching people, banks sharing private data, ANPR systems, going to war on dodgy data, MP's fiddling expenses, privatisation of public services and the general intrusion into private life I think that suspicion is warranted. Not forgetting that the unworkable ID scheme had to be scrapped as people were not happy with it.

Far from being ignorant, people are now intelligent enough to know when they are being conned.

And yes I've filled mine in, but because of memory loss, ;) I may not have been 100% accurate.

When you take into account; the DNA database, the unnecessary and draconian terrorist laws that are used against anyone, the proliferation of CCTV cameras watching people, banks sharing private data, ANPR systems, going to war on dodgy data, MP's fiddling expenses, privatisation of public services and the general intrusion into private life I think that suspicion is warranted. Not forgetting that the unworkable ID scheme had to be scrapped as people were not happy with it.

Far from being ignorant, people are now intelligent enough to know when they are being conned.And yes I've filled mine in, but because of memory loss, ;) I may not have been 100% accurate.

Which is probably why the government doesn't want more people going to iniversity - they'd be able to analyse their plans and come to their own conclusions. That would never do, would it?

Archived