Why arent the british military and NATO getting involved in Syria then?

Yemen is facing a conflict with al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula as well as a revolt from secessionists in southern Yemen (where Osama Bin Laden's family is originally from who want to see the old South Yemen reconstituted. Additionally, there is also a Shia Houthi rebellion in the north of the country that wishes to be separate

We shud be far more worried about what goes on in Yemen than Libya bearing in mind their Al Qaeda presence!

Why's that? A democratically elected government isn't going to tollerate Al Quaeda opertating in the country. I don't think you have thought this through at all as this whole thread is laughable.

Yemen is facing a conflict with al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula as well as a revolt from secessionists in southern Yemen (where Osama Bin Laden's family is originally from who want to see the old South Yemen reconstituted. Additionally, there is also a Shia Houthi rebellion in the north of the country that wishes to be separate

The Bn Ladens are Saudis.

the syrian army ARE killing rebels so are the Yemens, i dont see any difference, bearing in mind NATO say they are only protecting innocent civilians, why arent they going to protect innocent syrian and yemenis?

Rebels by definition are declaring themselves as combatants - so it's essentially a civil war. That's for the country to work out.

If *either* side then go after civilians and other non combatants then it's time for the UN to start getting involved. Until then, depressing as it may be it's not anyones concern but the country in question and perhaps it's immediate neighbours.

Why's that? A democratically elected government isn't going to tollerate Al Quaeda opertating in the country. I don't think you have thought this through at all as this whole thread is laughable.

Have the Libyan rebels promised free and fair democratic elections should they gain power?

We went in there to protect civilians but we now seem to be facilitating and empowering a rebel army of which we know nothing about.

Seeing John Simpson with the Libyan rebels reminds me of Sandy Gall riding about with the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan, and we all know how well that worked out.

Amongst all the similarities and differences, there is one similiarity which is crucial.

We had enough sense not to get involved in Libya unless, and until, the Arab League petitioned the UN for involvement. We have - so far - the same sense not to get involved in Syria, unless and until.

Archived