Public houses sheffield blitz

peppermint

looking at a modern map and comparing with older ones....

Union Street runs from Charles Street to Furnival Gate, which used to be a narrower street called Furnival St.

Porter Street continued the line of Union Street the other side of Furnival St, at first straight, as far as Matilda Street (although the western part of Matilda Street used to be called Duke Street).

It then curved very slightly to reach what is now the junction of Hereford St, Eyre Street and Bramall Lane. (I didn't realize that Bramall lane begins north of the St Mary's roundabout!

I would recommend the Godfrey O.S. reprints (Waterstones, Sheffield Scene etc or Alan Godfrey Maps). Most of Porter Street is on the Sheffield Park 1905 sheet.

btw there is one picture on Picture Sheffield showing the Globe, Porter Street in 1930 (in the middle distance).

Hugh

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by peppermint

Can anyone tell me any info or if any pictures exist on the Globe inn Porter street sheffield which was bombed in the blitz.

Also The royal Hotel Eyre Lane (not eyre street).

I hope someone can help with this one thnx peppermint

Come on guys there must be someone out there who can help,

HughW gave me a link but he was the only one who answered.

surely there must be someone out there who remembers them.

There is a good book that lists all the pubs that (almost) have ever been in Sheffield, called "A pub on every corner". I don't know if it is still for sale in the book shops as I saw it at Sheffield Library. Like the poster above said, old maps of the area (the Ordinance Survey ones I think.) usually have the pub names on them.

Sheffield pub history is interesting, I am interested in any ghost or stories of the strange from any area in the Town centre so if you dig up anything like that in your research into these pubs please let me know. :)

My parents were landlord and landlady of The Montgomery Hotel at the bottom of Granville Road, on the island 1969 -1971.

There is the round car saleroom there

now. As far as I can remember it had its top floors blown off in the blitz and after that was a single storey building, it only had a license to sell ales and fortified wine, no spirits.

I was only 5 at the time and I can rememeber quite vividly two of the regulars kicking seven bells out of each other on the cobbles.

Oh happy days:gag:

I dont't have any pictures of the building but would love to find out if anyone does.

There is a good book that lists all the pubs that (almost) have ever been in Sheffield, called "A pub on every corner". I don't know if it is still for sale in the book shops as I saw it at Sheffield Library. Like the poster above said, old maps of the area (the Ordinance Survey ones I think.) usually have the pub names on them.

Sheffield pub history is interesting, I am interested in any ghost or stories of the strange from any area in the Town centre so if you dig up anything like that in your research into these pubs please let me know. :)

I am in the process of buying the book now.

As for the ghost stories in pubs, look on these sites

http://www.mysterymag.com/hauntedbritain/index.php?subID=115&artID=277&page=article

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--abo...ns/ghost-walks

http://www.carbrookhall.co.uk/index2.html

I will let you know if the book brings anything up, oh and there is the queens head in ponds street that is supposed to be haunted

There was a book published by the Telegraph/Star detailing the blitz in Sheffield. I have a copy of it somewhere, but since moving house recently I have lost track of it. There were lots of pictures in it.

Archived