Public houses sheffield blitz

peppermint

The book I have is called THEN AND NOW THE SHEFFIELD BLITZ OPERATION CRUCIBLE. By Alistair Lofthouse. ISBN 190158709-6. PUB 2001

£6.95. lOTS OF PICS SHOWING BOMB DAMAGE with a picture of the scene what it is like now.

There was a book published by the Telegraph/Star detailing the blitz in Sheffield. I have a copy of it somewhere, but since moving house recently I have lost track of it. There were lots of pictures in it.

Thnx buck:thumbsup: father-in-law donated the book to me, havn't had time to go through it all. it also has a map of where the bombs hit (is this the same one?)

The book I have is called THEN AND NOW THE SHEFFIELD BLITZ OPERATION CRUCIBLE. By Alistair Lofthouse. ISBN 190158709-6. PUB 2001

£6.95. lOTS OF PICS SHOWING BOMB DAMAGE with a picture of the scene what it is like now.

thnx hutch, don't know this book but soon will, now i have the isbn number, I will order it. :thumbsup: hope I find what i'm looking for, the research is for my great uncle who is well passed 90, bit of family history in the pubs.

There is a section on the following site that refers to the City Centre pubs that were destroyed on 12th December 1940

http://www.chrishobbs.com/localpubs1940.htm

No mention of the Globe Inn Porter street though. I seem to recall though that there was a significant loss of life in Porter Street that night when a public "slit" trench received a direct hit from a German HE bomb. Possibly near the Globe?

I seem to recall though that there was a significant loss of life in Porter Street that night when a public "slit" trench received a direct hit from a German HE bomb. Possibly near the Globe?

have tried the site, just curious do you remember the globe? can't find any that do, and its driving me mad.

It features in my family history but can't find any mention of it anywhere.

I am still trying to get copies of the 2 book that have been recomended

THEN AND NOW THE SHEFFIELD BLITZ OPERATION CRUCIBLE. By Alistair Lofthouse. ISBN 190158709-6. PUB 2001

Apub on every corner ISBN 1874718555

Can anyone help with where to get these books from?:help:

THEN AND NOW THE SHEFFIELD BLITZ OPERATION CRUCIBLE. By Alistair Lofthouse. ISBN 190158709-6. PUB 2001 I Have this book now, just got a call saying they have found it

still want the pub on every corner though

I have read the book, There are a lot of pictures of the areas of sheffield that were bombed, sadly no sign of the pubs i'm looking for. The stories of the memories of the night of the blitz were interesting to read. More a pictorial account though.

Archived