Who is responsible for paying a minor's fines?

Ok

A boy commits crime up to the age of being 18. He is never sent to prison but incurs fines. Before the boy's 18th birthday the police come to his house for non-payment of fines but because the boy is a minor, his mother is arrested instead. Do you think this is fair? I do. The parent is responsible for the child and must be held accountable for his actions.

So Mother pays the fine then holds it against the boy until he has paid her off. Do you think this is fair? Because she is responsible for him up until the age of 18.

What do you think?

Can she be arrested by proxy? I doubt it.

A person under 18 cannot, in law, owe money*; his or her parents would owe it instead. So if anyone is to be arrested for non-payment of a fine given to a 16-year-old, it would not be the 16-year-old.

*Student loans are probably exempt from this, as they are from much else in financial law.

A person under 18 cannot, in law, owe money*; his or her parents would owe it instead. So if anyone is to be arrested for non-payment of a fine given to a 16-year-old, it would not be the 16-year-old.

Can one be arrested for a crime commited by one's child?

"I hereby place you under arrest for something someone else has done"?

Surely non-payment of fines would go through magistrates, and the police would have no need to go and arrest anyone.

(I'm no expert, of course. :) )

Archived