Garden wall advice

Garden wall which side is yours? Left or right?

I was asked this the other week as I look after my mates house when its not being rented and its the right well in his case its the right the house to the left tried to say the fence was his they soon found out it wasnt

• 2 months later...
Your best bet is to check your title deeds hopefully that'll answer your question. But as an idea if it's a fence with posts the side that has the posts will normally be the responsible party but there's a lot of different scenarios.

Yes. Do it in this descending order:

1. Unregistered title deeds' plans (esp. original lease or the deed when this property was first sold-off).

2. HM Land Registry entries, title plan, or any deed/plan (pre- or post- first registration)to which the Register cross-refers.

3. The ground levels: often (but not always), the higher-side's land is retained by the wall which is owned by the higher-side's owner.

I have my deeds here, plus we took a builder to court over the same issue, the boundry on my deeds are shown with a T shaped mark, if the T is on my side, the wall, fence, whatever the boundry is, then it belongs to me. If the T mark is on the outside of my marked boundry, then the wall, fence whatever belongs my neighbour. Hope that helps.

Regards

Angel.

I have my deeds here, plus we took a builder to court over the same issue, the boundry on my deeds are shown with a T shaped mark, if the T is on my side, the wall, fence, whatever the boundry is, then it belongs to me. If the T mark is on the outside of my marked boundry, then the wall, fence whatever belongs my neighbour. Hope that helps.

Regards

Angel.

Yes; an inward-facing T shows ownership.

If there's an H sitting astride the boundary, it's joint.

Archived