History of housing in Heeley

Alex_1

Hi everyone!

I'm studying Housing at Sheffield Hallam and at the minute I'm writing an essay on the history of housing in the Heeley area.

Does anyone have any interesting facts or stories about Heeley? particularly relating to employment and housing and from the 40's onwards, although I'm covering from 1840 onwards so info from earlier is fine but I've found loads in the History books from between the late 19th century up to the end of the war.

:help: Your help would be appreciated :)

hey up mate we lived in heeley in the 50s i am 58 so cant remember,only what my bros and sisters tell me . we lived on gleadless road in a slum next to a house called the ivy house i think it was 2 up 2 down and there was 8 of us plus mam and dad and resident mice and cockroaches the kitchen floor was grave stones dont know much else our house was oppisite heeley church

During the Thursday night blitz my brother and I were at the pictures watching a Mickey Rooney film at that picture house near the railway arches when the sirens sounded. We ignored them and came out and in the foyer were women and kids crying. We ignored them and opened the outside door and heard a screaming whistling sound.

We both ran like cheetahs and dived under a truck where unknown to me my brother had knocked himself out on a girder. A great big copper picked me up, I was 11 years old and due to starvation weighed nothing, and deposited me on bench in an air raid shelter under the arches. I tried to tell the copper about my brother but he looked dazed and didn't appear to comprehend so I was about to go out when a lad about 20 went out and brought my brother in. He had an enormous bump on his head.

We eventually heard the all clear sound and off we went up Chesterfield road and at the end of Little London were dazed people trying to get water out of a broken pipe. We walked past on our way to Millmount road where we met our mother coming to meet us she looked about 40 years older than she was.

War isn't something you allow our politicians to get us into lightly. Who in their right mind would sign a bit of paper offering to defend Poland if attacked. We defended ourselves and so should every other nation.

The clowns in Parliament have now got us involved in Libya but tell us we have to take cuts. Where is the money coming from for that bit of lunacy.

Hi everyone!

I'm studying Housing at Sheffield Hallam and at the minute I'm writing an essay on the history of housing in the Heeley area.

Does anyone have any interesting facts or stories about Heeley? particularly relating to employment and housing and from the 40's onwards, although I'm covering from 1840 onwards so info from earlier is fine but I've found loads in the History books from between the late 19th century up to the end of the war.

:help: Your help would be appreciated :)

I seem to remember that on Carter Place where we lived in the 40s there was an inscription over an entry way that said 1852.

And it seemed all the shops that were built at the time were on the corners.

Later many houses were converted to shops but the corner shops were always the main ones.

Our house had gas lights until about 1948, one electrical outlet for the wireless, one gas ring, one cold water tap in the kitchen and the iron fireplace range to do the cooking. The "cellar head" at the top of the cellar stairs had a couple of shelves to store food, etc, and the cellar itself had no lighting except for the bit of daylight that used to come from the cellar grate on the sidewalk.

Going down to search for a bit of coal at night with a box of matches was a nightmare. I think we had a gas meter down there too.

There were doors that connected the cellars on the street and it wasn't unusual for a neighbour to get through and steal a bit of your coal. You had to be careful that you didn't bump into them in the dark.:(

The two up and two down houses had such a small staircase that all bedroom furniture had to be taken up a ladder through the bedroom window.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,I lived at Prospect Square from the late 50's til 1976.The Square was off Prospect Rd,with barber Tom Wolstenholm's at the top.It sounds quite posh,but was actually a gennel(very steep,once fell down it after a pub crawl down London Rd.)which had 5 houses down it,Believe they belonged to Skeltons.There was a wall in the back yard with a droop of about 40 feet,whichall us kids used to climb up and down to get to the mucky river.Great times.

Hi,I lived at Prospect Square from the late 50's til 1976.The Square was off Prospect Rd,with barber Tom Wolstenholm's at the top.It sounds quite posh,but was actually a gennel(very steep,once fell down it after a pub crawl down London Rd.)which had 5 houses down it,Believe they belonged to Skeltons.There was a wall in the back yard with a droop of about 40 feet,whichall us kids used to climb up and down to get to the mucky river.Great times.

hiya, we,my wife and i lived on gleadless rd number 49, we married in 1961 and after a friutless search for a house, the council waiting listat that time was 11 years, we saw this propery advertised in the star newspaper, it was a 2 up and 1 down with a small kitchen on the rear, when we went for a viewing we found that it was £350 and that was for number 51 next door as well, it was on the hill just past the sheaf view public house and opposite florence place,there were quite a few small shops and pubs around at that time and 2 cinemas the heeley palace and the heeley green, another had closed some while before that was the heeley coliseum,and 2 snooker halls. going back to when we bought our house 6 or 7 weeks after we moved in the sheffield gales struck and the newly fitted house was an inch deep in soot from the old style coal fire, we started our family in that house a daughter and a son, we found that the local icecream maker a chap named ernest battle (TAGGY) had bought the two and sold them to the couple we had bought them from, he had bought them at auction for £20 the pair we lived there untill 1967, it was due for compusory purchase for what was going to be the heeley bypass otherwise we would have got full market value, we got £ 116,

Archived