Bring back the death penalty

You raise some interesting points here.

Surely in prison - which despite all the nonsense talked about playstations and luxury - is surely a dreadful place to live, it would be all too easy to 'cop out' by euthanasia. For though who believe in retributive justice - and I'm not one of them - it would be better to deprive people of all hope and expose them to the remorseless passsage of time than to take the easy way into painless oblivion?

It should be- but may be times have changed since those dreaded 20th century periods at Parkhurst.

You do get some prisoners trying to kill themselves (some succeed and some don't). I know a few recent ones have tried, like the Soham killer and this Crossbar Cannibal- so may be these guys just rather be dead than to spend a lifetime in jail.

Surely if they were offered an option they'll take the road to the grave rather than sit in jail and grow old.

if they agree to being 'put down' then change their mind a minute before the event what do we do then?

We don't do it
what do we do with those deemed mentally ill choosing to be put down?
we don't give them the choice
I'm not 'against' your idea, but just think it has too much room for abuse, unless rigorous checks are put into place. my feeling is that those rigorous checks, if they were just, would mean it couldn't be done.
Maybe not. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked at

You raise some interesting points here.

Surely in prison - which despite all the nonsense talked about playstations and luxury - is surely a dreadful place to live, it would be all too easy to 'cop out' by euthanasia. For though who believe in retributive justice - and I'm not one of them - it would be better to deprive people of all hope and expose them to the remorseless passsage of time than to take the easy way into painless oblivion?

Then how do we treat our criminals? Do we treat them with emotion or not? Is it compassionate to lock a man up for possibly 6 decades where he can't perform any kind of useful function in society and is a drain on the taxpayer or is it reasonable to allow him to have a choice to not be a further drain on a society he's already turned his back o?

I'm not saying this should be an option for all criminals. Just for the criminals who are likely to be in prison until they dis. If you are likely to out in 15 years and can rejoin society after serving your sentence then it would be absurd to even give the choice to the person.

true. a lot of people in pre-sentence hearings in the states do beg the judges to not give the con a death sentence because they want "this animal to remember every day till he dies what he did to my daughter" etc. while, of course, some just want the person's head.

i did do time as her majesty's guest some time back. it wasn't for long. but, i've got to say, if they'd given me anything approaching, say, ten years even though i was 25 at the time i would have thought seriously about taking the injection had it been offered.

A lot, I doubt it, any links to the stats.

Yeah - he killed some people - which is wrong. So if we kill him - guess what?

It's wrong.

He Killed some people, So in the world you live in 2 very young schoolgirls walking through there home village are SOME PEOPLE.:loopy:

If Ian Huntley was executed -guess what ?

There would be one less monster to feed which can only be GOOD.

He Killed some people, So in the world you live in 2 very young schoolgirls walking through there home village are SOME PEOPLE.:loopy:

If Ian Huntley was executed -guess what ?

There would be one less monster to feed which can only be GOOD.

Keeping a man (or a woman) in prison is expensive.

So reduce the cost. Provide fewer amenities, more time in your Peter and an uninteresting (but cheap and adequately nutritious) diet.

It is, after all, supposed to be a punishment.

Many States in the US have capital punishment. The cost of the (mandatory) appeals processes are usually far higher than the cost of incarcerating the person for life.

Are you prepared to argue that somebody sentenced to die should be denied the chance to prove (s)he is innocent? - Is cost a factor? Should it be?

A lot, I doubt it, any links to the stats.

will try to find some. but i do remember it was there on the amnesty international site a few years back.

it's not mercy by the way, for most, they see it as a worse punishment than a death sentence. they might have a point.

We don't do it we don't give them the choiceMaybe not. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked at

i don't see any nation that doesn't have the death sentence now ever introducing it or re-introducing it. especially in the 'civilized west'. but this is an interesting topic.

thing is, the death sentence makes no sense as a deterrent (it doesn't work). it doesn't save money, it costs more through appeals etc. the human rights issues and matters of law make it impossible to deny anyone proper appeals processes, so we can't save money that way.

Archived