Bring back the death penalty

we should simply take the DNA of every baby born in the uk from now on, every immigrant and every entrant into the uk a bit like a visa system, that way eventually we would have a complete picture in the future that could be checked against a dna data base, highly unlikely of a mistake then, in the meantime the DNA of anyone that comes into contact with authority for whatever reason, police, border agency etc, if you have nothing to hide you should have no problem with that??

DNA cannot be used on its own in a court of law to convict anyone as its not 100% reliable and cannot tell you that someone committed a specific crime. People seem to think that it is some sort of magic bullet and that because there is a match it can identify a suspect without a doubt but the truth is it cant. Its normally use together with other collaborating evidence to convict.

There are many people that will match a suspects DNA and its main use is in eliminating certain groups of people. Because of that it can also be use for racial DNA profiling.

Are murders still committed in countries that still have the death penalty? If the answer is yes then it cant be much of a deterrent.

When somebody can show me a better way of eliminating the risk of reoffending, I'll have an open ear to those who are worried about capital punishment, but until then I'd think the country a better place if we executed the worst of our criminals - including all convicted drug dealers.

So someone selling knock off cigarettes deserves the death penalty. Nice.

jb

So someone selling knock off cigarettes deserves the death penalty. Nice.

jb

But a weak attempt to twist what I said - would somebody selling knock-of cigarettes be convicted of dealing drugs? No? Then stop being silly.

(For the record though, I'd be happy for any dealer in stolen goods or a burglar/thief/robber to be given a one-way ticket to no pulse in the judicial system. We don't need them in society).

Hehe, offing perps won't make a dent in the world population unless you use politically difficult industrial solutions.

When I mentioned cost, I wasn't just referring to financial costs.

Summary execution is about the only cost-effective way of implementing the death penalty - but runs a much higher risk of wrongful conviction and execution.

If my brother or child were wrongly convicted and executed, I would have cause for complaint, but you seemingly would not.

Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but I've always believed that if you don't go round killing people, you have little chance of being arrested for murder.

The media using pictures of a noose doesn't help the debate for the re-introduction of capital punishment, if it was to be brought back, it would be unlikley that hanging would be the method of execution.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8680584/Parliament-could-be-forced-to-debate-the-restoration-of-capital-punishment.html

It's a good way, a little too long and their head will pop off, a little too short and they'll have to dangle in agony until dead. :gag:

P.S. I don't believe in death penalty, but on gut reaction of hearing some crimes I say it should be metered out...

Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but I've always believed that if you don't go round killing people, you have little chance of being arrested for murder.

You're right - but it does happen. As recently as January in terms of well publicised cases, who knows how often it happens to those not in the public eye.

If the arrestee had been summarily executed, the actual murderer would be still at large. If the arrestee had been tried, they would have been exonerated and the hunt for the murderer continued. If if they had been arrested and convicted, they most likely would have appealed successfully - such are the checks and balances in the legal and judicial system.

There's an element of zero-sum to all this - the cheaper capital punishment gets, the more likely it is that innocents will be executed. Each executed innocent equals one unpunished, unrepentant, reoffending perp on the street.

Providing you're happy to give up your right to trial and appeal, and give up your life if wrongly convicted, I see no inherent contradictions in your position, but it still doesn't amount to any kind of 'solution'.

Archived