Bring back the death penalty

Why is human life so treasured and revered? Its obvious that some scum resign their membership to the human race when they rob, rape and steal and show no remorse or care or willingness to change.

Why is euthanasia becoming accepted, but irradiation of scum not?

Totally agree with you .

The problem lies with the Bleeding Heart liberals among society . They hate any sort of harsh punishment for offenders ,and mistakenly think that offenders can be reabilitated back into society.

the Bleeding Heart liberals [...] hate any sort of harsh punishment for offenders ,and mistakenly think that offenders can be reabilitated back into society.

But some offenders can be rehabilitated. Some can't, I agree, but then neither of us can argue that the answer is simple.

Your first point fails in that people who don't agree with violent crime can't agree with violent punishment either, for the same reasons. If killing a man is wrong then it is wrong at all times. If beating a man is wrong then it is wrong at all times. There isn't a 'good' and 'bad' violation.

But some offenders can be rehabilitated. Some can't, I agree, but then neither of us can argue that the answer is simple.

Your first point fails in that people who don't agree with violent crime can't agree with violent punishment either, for the same reasons. If killing a man is wrong then it is wrong at all times. If beating a man is wrong then it is wrong at all times. There isn't a 'good' and 'bad' violation.

Too simplistic a view.

All we have to do is differentiate between crime committed against innocent victims, and criminals getting what they deserve. I’m against innocent people being the victim of any crime or violence, but I’d personally give up my free time as volunteer pulling the level on the gallows if it helped me do my bit for society to thin out the criminal underclass.

People deserve what they mete out - eye for an eye and all that. Minor slap on the wrist for minor offence, death for heinous offence or life of serial criminality.

Too simplistic a view.

Only as much as chopping off someone's hands stops them stealing. My point makes sense. If killing is a crime because murder is bad, then we can conclude that the punishment for that shouldn't be more killing.

People deserve what they mete out - eye for an eye and all that.

What about killing in self-defence? Or stealing to feed a family? They're not morally evil acts. I'm glad the law has evolved above old testament catchphrases.

If there is even a smidgen of a chance that an innocent man could die then this wouldn't be worth it.

As it happens, there is a chance.

We will NEVER bring back capital punishment in this country. People have to accept this and move on to 21st century issues not ones that belong in the darkest abyss' of history.

If there is even a smidgen of a chance that an innocent man could die then this wouldn't be worth it.

As it happens, there is a chance.

We will NEVER bring back capital punishment in this country. People have to accept this and move on to 21st century issues not ones that belong in the darkest abyss' of history.

I agree. However as an alternative to the death penalty, in some cases, life should actually mean life, and the offender should die of old age behind bars.

Only as much as chopping off someone's hands stops them stealing. My point makes sense. If killing is a crime because murder is bad, then we can conclude that the punishment for that shouldn't be more killing.
I agree murder is bad but I don't advocate murder. Execution is not murder -fact. If we don't get carried away with the emotive issue and confuse murder with execution, there's no problem. Is it murder when we use slug pellets? No of course not, and the same should apply when we rid society of people who do not deserve to be treated as human.

What about killing in self-defence? Or stealing to feed a family? They're not morally evil acts. I'm glad the law has evolved above old testament catchphrases.
Killing in self-defence is fine in my book.

However, our welfare state makes it possible for everybody to have food and shelter for free, so anybody who claims they are stealing to feed their family will clearly have squandered his or her benefits on fags/booze/drugs/luxuries, so should have no sympathy and be locked up.

You appear to be saying that some peoples lives are worth less than others - that is one of the traits of a sociopath.
Indeed it is, but my post was not a definition.

I most firmly do believe that some people's lives are of huge worth, and others are of little or no worth whatsoever.

If believing that Ian Huntley's life or that of a rioter is of less value than that of a pioneering medical researcher or Nobel peace prize winner makes me a sociopath, then so be it.

Archived