Bring back the death penalty

Good point, Banker. There are certainly some evil people in jail now who don't deserve to live, but bringing back the death penalty would also mean that innocent people could hang, as happened in the past. Another point is that when a murder conviction meant execution, juries were naturally reluctant to convict while ever there was any shadow of a doubt - and so guilty murderers got off scot-free.

david bentley hanged and then was postumously pardoned.proof that the system failed him.

I'm not so sure, Beechnut:-

teeny-weeny has just provided incontrovertible evidence that juries were not at all reluctant to convict, even with the death penalty, whether the accused were innocent or no...

There were plenty of people who went to the gallows.

In Pierrrepoints's career, alone, between 1932 to 1956, he was executioner to between 400 and 600 convictees, amongst them, the innocents Timothy Evans and Derek Bentley.

Peter Sutcliffe, Ian huntley, Brady and the late Hindly but to mention a few all deserved to be hanged in my opinion. These killers were guilty as sin.

That would have saved a few quid as well.

Yep - hang 'em high for such crimes but extend it to anyone with more than a user quantity of drugs.

I'm not so sure, Beechnut ... teeny-weeny has just provided incontrovertible evidence that juries were not at all reluctant to convict, even with the death penalty, whether the accused were innocent or no....
Clearly, juries convicted people. Beechnut's observation related only to those who were acquitted even though they were guilty. This certainly happened, whether due to smooth-talking defence counsel or whatever. If doubt could be put in the minds of juries, guilty people could be acquitted - as they clearly were. Guilty people are also acquitted nowadays, just as innocent people are convicted - as no system is perfect. The difference is that innocent people are no longer hanged.

should we bring back the death penalty

It is something I discuss with my partner all the time, she works with abused children and I have worked in different departments of Yorkshire hospitals for quite a while now.

I think the death penalty would act as such a strong deterant that it would prove succesfull in reducing crime numbers. However who has the right to choose when another person should be killed?

I often joke that capital punishment should return and although I think incredibly unlikely I think the thought of being whipped etc if you chose to beat your partner or child would serve as an adequate deterant.

Tom

I personally don't care if Capital Punishment is a deterant or not..

What i can never get my head round is how quickly the Victims of certain monsters are forgotten..

The system fails to give certain victims JUSTICE because there are monsters who are 100 per cent guilty locked up and will never be executed..

Archived