Bring back the death penalty

A guy who my son used to play football with is currently serving a minimum 14 years life sentence, for strangling his girlfriend, who had just dumped him. I am not making any excuses for him, but it transpires that his home life as a youngster, left much to be desired.

You going soft on us there UIW?

I think I must be. Not long ago I would have wanted anyone with any illegal drugs strung up.

I suppose I'm going mellow in my old age but now I'm starting to see drug uses as simple mined, idiot victims of the pushers. :)

david bentley hanged and then was postumously pardoned.proof that the system failed him.

The ironic thing about this case is if Bentley had not been executed he would probably have never got a pardon for his conviction.

Also I think if this had happened lately he would have still been convicted on the evidence.

I personally don't care if Capital Punishment is a deterant or not..

What i can never get my head round is how quickly the Victims of certain monsters are forgotten..

The system fails to give certain victims JUSTICE because there are monsters who are 100 per cent guilty locked up and will never be executed..

Are you talking justice or revenge?

To answer the original question - no the death penalty shouldn't be brought back because:

1. It's an immoral and barbaric throwback.

2. You can never be 100% sure that you are correct in a conviction.

3. It's not a deterrent.

The powers that be were well aware that Derek Bentley had the mental age of an eleven year old. Had his mate been old enough to suffer the death sentence I doubt that the clemency plea by the jury would have been ignored.

A policeman had been killed and someone had to swing for it.

david bentley hanged and then was postumously pardoned.proof that the system failed him.

This is why the death penalty is wrong although a jury convicted him it took decades to reverse the verdict.

As I have already said if he had got clemency he would probably never have got a pardon.

Clemency and a Pardon are two very different things.

The Fowler brothers who were from Sheffield are widely belived to have been innocent of murder.

Manslaughter and murder verdicts balance on a very fine line and a lot of murderers have got away with murder and a lot of people who committed murder have danced down the stairs with manslaughter verdicts.

Police deaths are particularly hard to defend in a trial.

I take it you don't know what Huntley did ?

I take it you immersed yourself in the grisly details of what he did, and then over the years developed a full head of self righteous indignation which enables you to unselfconsciously declare the nation and all of us disgraceful, because he has not been given the easy way out and been PTS?

I take it you immersed yourself in the grisly details of what he did, and then over the years developed a full head of self righteous indignation which enables you to unselfconsciously declare the nation and all of us disgraceful,

because he has not been given the easy way out and been PTS?

That is a good point, I wonder how many lifers would prefer to be put to sleep?

Huntley is reported to have tried to commit suicide on numerous occasions.

With a bit of imagination, you can really satisfy your punitive urges much better with prison.

Lethal avengers, when questioned, tend to report a sense of anticlimax after the death of their victim - as if it has not given them the release they anticipated.

Archived