What are your thoughts on net neutrality?

I haven't put this in comp & tech because it could potentially affect every user of the interwebs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality

Basically a few of the major ISPs and websites are wanting to push it forward. It means that that internet traffic will be prioritised so that the more popular web sites, or those that pay for the privilege would download faster than normal sites.

Have a read up on Google's blog. They want it. It could mean no more Facebooks or Googles (By that I mean very successful ideas that flourish) as the new site would download much slower than an established site which pays for the priority. Sites like Sheffield Forum would be affected.

Basically a few of the major ISPs and websites are wanting to push it forward. It means that that internet traffic will be prioritised so that the more popular web sites, or those that pay for the privilege would download faster than normal sites.

That's the opposite of net neutrality. Net neutrality is NOT prioritising one type of traffic over another.

Most of ISPs are against it as they have unsustainable business models - competing on lowest price for supposedly unlimited connections. They see being able to charge web sites as a way of getting more money without put the prices up to their customers.

The excessive costs to ISPs of heavy users pretty much goes away if you have metered access and they pay for the amount of data they download. Similarly for users who hog a shared connection's bandwidth if you give priority to the user who least recently send/recieved some data.

That's the opposite of net neutrality. Net neutrality is NOT prioritising one type of traffic over another.

Most of ISPs are against it as they have unsustainable business models - competing on lowest price for supposedly unlimited connections. They see being able to charge web sites as a way of getting more money without put the prices up to their customers.

The excessive costs to ISPs of heavy users pretty much goes away if you have metered access and they pay for the amount of data they download. Similarly for users who hog a shared connection's bandwidth if you give priority to the user who least recently send/recieved some data.

Yes I am aware what net neutrality is. I guess I should have made myself clearer. The whole debate is about net neutrality and who wants to change it for their own gains.

Thanks for putting the thread right though. I do think this is an important issue.

Archived