Despicable brutality

Rather than express admiration that the authorities have moved fast and begin an investigation and make arrests, rather even than express a modicum of sympathy for the poor girl, you use her death to slag off muslims. Why's that?

Is it usual to express admiration for authorities clamping down in barbaric and inhumane acts? Or is this yet another deflection tactic? It's rather akin to praising and commending men for not beating their wives, I feel.

What I find totally disturbing about threads of this nature is how anyone who expresses a modicum of revulsion at some of these atrocities is instantly hounded and criticised by the apologists. It disturbs me greatly that there is the total lack of acknowledgement from certain quarters that it is totally normal and understandable to express a visceral reaction to these types of stories. Instead of which, the defenders come on in their cold, calm and detached manner and in this case, highlight how commendable it is that at least the perpetrators are being prosecuted, or rather, have been arrested. Let's all praise everyone for doing the right thing shall we? How patronising is that? And some would even suggest racist. Applying one set of standards to a group of people and another to a different group based on their ethnicity - isn't that racism?

The only good thing about this horrific affair is the outrage it provoked in Bangladesh.

The case revolves around the patriarchal concept of honour. Our government would do well to have a campaign to counter that whole alien concept and make sure it never takes hold here.

Rather than express admiration that the authorities have moved fast and begin an investigation and make arrests, rather even than express a modicum of sympathy for the poor girl, you use her death to slag off muslims. Why's that?
It would seem you're back again with your misquoting, unless the post has been edited I see no reference to Muslims.

The man who passed the sentence has been arrested. The doctors may simply be incompetent, they did not kill the poor girl:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/10/bangladesh-whipping-three-doctors-investigated

It would be easy to form the impression that you're back again just trying to cause an argument.

They were more than incompetent if they did not see the obvious signs of a severe flogging.

Originally Posted by Treatment

What can you expect from a bunch of uncivilised animals ?

Spindrinft replied:-

Have you donated to the charity, or will you limit yourself to exploiting a girl's death to trot out sweeping prejudicial remarks?

What is sweeping and prejudiced about calling people who flog a child to death on a trumped up charge uncivlised animals which is what they are!

It is about time something was done about you and your inflamatory posts.

Is it usual to express admiration for authorities clamping down in barbaric and inhumane acts? Or is this yet another deflection tactic? It's rather akin to praising and commending men for not beating their wives, I feel.

What I find totally disturbing about threads of this nature is how anyone who expresses a modicum of revulsion at some of these atrocities is instantly hounded and criticised by the apologists. It disturbs me greatly that there is the total lack of acknowledgement from certain quarters that it is totally normal and understandable to express a visceral reaction to these types of stories. Instead of which, the defenders come on in their cold, calm and detached manner and in this case, highlight how commendable it is that at least the perpetrators are being prosecuted, or rather, have been arrested. Let's all praise everyone for doing the right thing shall we? How patronising is that? And some would even suggest racist. Applying one set of standards to a group of people and another to a different group based on their ethnicity - isn't that racism?

Excelent post, spindrift is posting in his/her usual provocative manner which invariably starts arguments resulting in thread closures.

Yes, in a weird way, it is. As for the rest of your post, amen sister!!

Archived