Despicable brutality

WARANTED - I suggest you read the OP again, they simply condemn it. Nowhere do they suggest it is something done by the majority in Bangladesh.

I stand by my comment of "backwards Islamic barbarism". The reason I stand by it is because that is exactly what it was.

No amount of pontificating, no amount of excusing or reasoning, will change the fact that the girl was murdered by the act of an Imam passing a Fatwa under Sharia Law.

I wonder what it means then when the OP says not to 'hide behind cultural norms and religious rights', if it wasn't meant as a swipe in an infrerence that this sort of a thing is the cultural norm of that society. especially when it has been established by the arrests and impending prosecutions that it is not the case, so can you please clarify?

Rather than express admiration that the authorities have moved fast and begin an investigation and make arrests, rather even than express a modicum of sympathy for the poor girl, you use her death to slag off muslims. Why's that?

Nothing admirable about it, it should be established routine to act promptly and properly in such cases should it not?

I'm sure that those who are not sympathetic to the child's treatment and the suffering of her family are few indeed whether or not they have explicitly expressed it.

I have made posts that can be seen as critical of Islam/Muslims, however, I have also made as many if not more posts critical of US/UK/Israeli policies and actions against muslims.

Some of the zealous minorities (not so small minorities in many cases) deserve criticism for structures and practices that lead to incidents such as this, if anyone deems that to be 'muslim slagging' tough.

Muslims may do as they wish in their own lands and it can only be hoped that the population will rise to counter such behaviour in their own lands.

I wonder what it means then when the OP says not to 'hide behind cultural norms and religious rights', if it wasn't meant as a swipe in an infrerence that this sort of a thing is the cultural norm of that society. especially when it has been established by the arrests and impending prosecutions that it is not the case, so can you please clarify?

The fuller quote is "Don't hide behind cultural norms or religious rights or any of that BS this is a child we're talking about ....".

I took that as directed at fellow forummers.

typical islamic barbarity, sharia law from the religion of peace. that poor kid and the millions before her.

A Sharia judgement would have required 4 witnesses. The story of Aisha and what happened to her accusers is not something any muslim scholar would be ignorant of.

There was only the wife as a witness, what happened has nothing to do with Islam.

The fuller quote is "Don't hide behind cultural norms or religious rights or any of that BS this is a child we're talking about ....".

I took that as directed at fellow forummers.

It is, but it also implies that this is not just a cultural but a religious practice. A point you also made and a point you should be well aware is wrong. It has been discussed enough with your participation on the forum over the last few years.

Why perpetuate these untruths?

There was only the wife as a witness, what happened has nothing to do with Islam.

Is that a joke?

"The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public."

Islam had everything to do with it. Perhaps you don't agree with the local Imam's interpretation, but you are not the arbiter of what is and what isn't Islam.

I did read that.

I guess you did not understand my point?

To say because an Imam made the judgement it reflects on Islam as a whole is exactly the same as claiming all Christians are anti-semitic based on examples that are not so hard to find.

The argument from the specific to general should always be made with caution, especially when the judgment is in contradiction to the most obvious muslim discussion of the topic, where Mohammed exonerated Aisha and had the accusers beaten.

Archived