Despicable brutality

I did read that.

I guess you did not understand my point?

To say because an Imam made the judgement it reflects on Islam as a whole is exactly the same as claiming all Christians are anti-semitic based on examples that are not so hard to find.

It is of course wrong to claim this is representative of Islam as a whole, however it is equally wrong (and frankly, quite bizarre) to claim that 'what happened had nothing to do with Islam'.

Rather like trying to argue that because Jesus said to turn the other cheek, that the Crusades had nothing to do with Christianity.

Is that a joke?

"The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public."

Islam had everything to do with it. Perhaps you don't agree with the local Imam's interpretation, but you are not the arbiter of what is and what isn't Islam.

So do you think the people who carried out this will not be prosecuted? It is a Muslim country and if it was Islamic then surely they would agree with the sentence wouldn't they? I wonder why they arrested the Mullah, do you think just to please the members of SF?:huh: Get real!

Is that a joke?

"The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public."

Islam had everything to do with it. Perhaps you don't agree with the local Imam's interpretation, but you are not the arbiter of what is and what isn't Islam.

No you can and should check for yourself what the view of Islam is on the topic. Youw ill find a range of views expressed many of them far short of my personal standards of human rights. But you will only find exceptions where judgments are made like this. Exceptions brought to light because they are offensive not just to western perceptions of human rights but also and importantly to muslim ones.

I don't have to have spent years studying and become an Imam to know what I am talking about. It only takes a few days spent reading threads like this and doing a little research in to the background.

So do you think the people who carried out this will not be prosecuted?
No, and I have not said or implied that I do, you are attempting to build a strawman argument.

It is a Muslim country and if it was Islamic then surely they would agree with the sentence wouldn't they?
Not necessarily, because the state of Bangladesh is not the arbiter of what is and what isn't Islamic.

do you think just to please the members of SF?:huh: Get real!
No, and I have not said or implied that I do, you are attempting to build a strawman argument.

In future can you please attempt to argue against what I have written instead of making up different things that I haven't said.

It is of course wrong to claim this is representative of Islam as a whole, however it is equally wrong (and frankly, quite bizarre) to claim that 'what happened had nothing to do with Islam'.

Rather like trying to argue that because Jesus said to turn the other cheek, that the Crusades had nothing to do with Christianity.

I think you will find the subjugation of women predates Islam in Bangladesh and across the globe. You only have to look at the Old Testament to see how women were treated as commodities to be bought and sold.

If Islam was to have any bearing on this judgment it would have been to take no action against the poor victim. Most obviously the requirement of 4 witnesses was not met.

The crusades were called by the Pope, not some remote priest. I really can't see how your analogy fits this.

No you can and should check for yourself what the view of Islam is on the topic. Youw ill find a range of views expressed many of them far short of my personal standards of human rights. But you will only find exceptions where judgments are made like this. Exceptions brought to light because they are offensive not just to western perceptions of human rights but also and importantly to muslim ones.

There is no such thing as 'true Islam', there are a variety of different interpretations. The local Imam who meted out this particular religiously inspired punishment happens to interpret it differently to you. You can't just claim he's not a 'real' Muslim, or that he's not practising Islam. He is practising Islam as he understands it, and that's just as much as any other muslim can say.

I don't have to have spent years studying and become an Imam to know what I am talking about.
I never said you did, and even if you had you would still not be the arbiter of what is and what isn't Islam. Islam is an umbrella term for the many different sects of people who worship one god and use the teachings of Mohammed as a guide. There is no single 'Islamic way' of doing things. There are many, corresponding to the many interpretations of Islam, this particular example of brutality happens to be one of them.

Professor of Law at Harvard University Noah Feldman had it right when he said " Quote:

"Today, when we invoke the harsh punishments prescribed by Shariah for a handful of offences, we rarely acknowledge the high standards of proof necessary for their implementation".
That quote is adapted from his book “The Fall and Rise of the Islamic State

Well that's a load of bunkum, a woman who is raped under Islamic law in Pakistan has to produce several witnesses.

Any woman foolish enough to report rape in most Islamic countries is more than likely to find herself charged with adultry due to being out unchaperoned.

There is no such thing as 'true Islam', there are a variety of different interpretations. The local Imam who meted out this particular religiously inspired punishment happens to interpret it differently to you. You can't just claim he's not a 'real' Muslim, or that he's not practising Islam. He is practising Islam as he understands it, and that's just as much as any other muslim can say.

Good post.

You will always find embarassed individuals trying to defend the indefensible.

Archived