Despicable brutality

There is no single 'islamic way' of doing things that everyone would agree on, that's my whole point.

That is quite a claim as there is no authority on any local mullah to dish out punishments, that is only done under an Islamic authority of an Islamic state. That is the reason I said the murder was committed by a mob intent on killing the child despite protestations of her parents and family. Village strong men made the decision and got the mullah to justify the decision, a bit like you are doing;) Mullah apparently has no judicial authority, but hey try explaining that to the bleeding hate mongers.

As the other poster has already said the Mullah and the villagers apparently behaved like a mob and did what mobs often do commit a crime that many as individuals wouldn't have done.

In the full report, the local imam isn't even mentioned, just "village elders".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/04/bangladeshi-girl-whipping-fatwa

Activists call for end to use of religious justice after teenager dies

It was a chance meeting next to the palm tree just yards from her bedroom that led to a 14-year-old girl being whipped to death in this tiny village about 40 miles south of the Bangladeshi capital, Dhaka.

In the early evening Hena Akhter had gone out to use the bathroom when she was met by her cousin and neighbour, Mahbub, who gagged her with a cloth before beating her.

The assault left her on the brink of consciousness, unable to walk or talk. But instead of punishing Hena's attacker, local elders called a shalish – a village meeting – where she was accused of having an illicit relationship with a married man.

Mahbub's wife, Shilpi, complained that he had secretly been meeting Hena. Village elders found both cousins guilty.

"I was called to the meeting, in Mahbub's home, and I cried when they said what her punishment was going to be," Hena's father, Darbesh Khan said. "They said she would be given 101 lashes, and Mahbub would get 201."

It was up to Darbesh to take his daughter to receive her punishment last week. He and his wife, Akleema, carried Hena to the verandah of the house where the meeting had been held. Barely able to stand, she was whipped with a cloth twisted into a rope until she fell unconscious.

The following day, Hena – who was named as Mosammet Hena in some local press reports – was taken to hospital. Six days later, she was pronounced dead. "I hardly wish I was alive," Darbesh said.

"I didn't think my daughter would die before me. I can't think; my life is ruined."

Last July, the Bangladesh high court ruled that extrajudicial punishments in the name of fatwas – religious edicts under Sharia law – were illegal. Local officials were instructed to take active measures to prevent them.

Sara Hossain, a barrister involved in the high court case, said: "We have no Sharia law in Bangladesh except when it comes to family matters. Elders who find a woman guilty of something which they believe to be a social or immoral offence have no authority to do so."

The death has provoked outrage in the country, with human rights activists demanding justice for Hena and an end to the use of religion to deliver justice. Yesterday, rallies and human chains were formed in support of her.

But seven months after the high court ruling, Hena's case has raised uncomfortable truths over the authorities' ability to prevent abuses. Hena's parents were not even aware her whipping was illegal.

"I'm not educated,"

Darbesh said.

"I don't know what the court laws are. But I know that if I don't listen to the elders, we would be outcast. None of my daughters could marry, no one would even look at us. If I had known that it would be them who would be punished, not me, then I would have tried to stop it."

Do you think this type of thing doesn't happen in the UK? Or is it ok as long as it is behind closed doors.

When will we start worrying and protecting the kids over here?

Or is it easier to bring this type of thing up, because folk know that they can't do anything about it.

How easy it seems that the people of the UK always look out for those in the rest of the world but not in their own back-yard. Wonder why?

No it doesn't, not as part of the legal system that is...which is why I pointed out "public".

I do.

Anything that brings this type of behavior to the attention of a public forum is positive. Burying your head isn't.

:huh: Because child cruelty exists are you suggesting that child care doesn't? Why do you need to define child cruelty by borders...child cruelty is child cruelty.

I know it's despicably brutal, but part of me wishes the village elders get sentenced to 101 lashes each.

Well in the verse that Wildcat has brought up the punishment for accusing a women of adultery without 4 witnesses should be 80 lashes.

However I'm pretty sure that you nor he would argue that any Muslim who ignores this part is not a true muslim.

Seconded, now that would be justice.

There are leather straps, proper whips. 101 lashes with them is a death sentence.

The family of the rapist have fled, arrest warrants are out for 14 more people who didn't step in and prevent the murder.

I know it's despicably brutal, but part of me wishes the village elders get sentenced to 101 lashes each.

To be honest I was thinking along the same lines..I doubt they could even handle 25.

The problem with these rural areas is one of illiteracy. The Imams are literate and can manipulate the teachings at their will. As they are regarded with such high esteem their questioning is rarely challenged. Arm people with education (look at Christianity as an example) and you soon find the dark ages become a distant memory..ish.

Those that are using the poor girl's death as an excuse to make nasty sweeping assertions are showing the same intolerance as that shown by the arrested leader.
really, i thought posters were showing their disgust that a so called covilised society can still whip a young girl to death

Archived