Should Job Seekers be made to work?

I can't believe anyone thinks that people on JSA doing voluntary work is a good idea.

If a company can have people for free, they won't employ = no jobs for anyone.

It's more about jobs similar to those given for community service eg. grafitti cleaning, litter picking etc.

Don't people get paid to do that at the moment anyway? General maintenance stuff, what the council do.

If you have a walk around, there's clearly plenty to be done cleaning up a lot of places, why not have people doing these odd jobs?

If you have a walk around, there's clearly plenty to be done cleaning up a lot of places, why not have people doing these odd jobs?

Because, if there are paid staff who are trying to do these jobs (alright it might be a lot of work) if you give it to people to volunteer, then the paid staff will lose their jobs.

As an example, there was a thread about parks in the North/South of Sheffield not been kept very well, if there aren't paid staff doing this job, then that would be something that volunteers would be valuable for.

But you can't have volunteers doing things that paid staff should be.

Because, if there are paid staff who are trying to do these jobs (alright it might be a lot of work) if you give it to people to volunteer, then the paid staff will lose their jobs.

As an example, there was a thread about parks in the North/South of Sheffield not been kept very well, if there aren't paid staff doing this job, then that would be something that volunteers would be valuable for.

But you can't have volunteers doing things that paid staff should be.

They're not volunteers and they are getting paid. That's the point, working for their benefits, these benefits would be pay for the work they do rather than free money.

No one would be volunteering for anything.

They're not volunteers and they are getting paid. That's the point, working for their benefits, these benefits would be pay for the work they do rather than free money.

No one would be volunteering for anything.

Alright, but you're missing my point. I was calling them volunteers for the sake of it being simpler.

I'm saying if there are already EMPLOYED members of staff doing that as a job then people claiming JSA cannot do that job.

Alright, but you're missing my point. I was calling them volunteers for the sake of it being simpler.

I'm saying if there are already EMPLOYED members of staff doing that as a job then people claiming JSA cannot do that job.

No, I think you've missed the point. I've not seen anyone mention taking away jobs to give to JSA claimants.

Simply taking on the jobs that aren't done. Odd jobs.

Long-term claimants should be working for their money, it would encourage them to get back into work and stop sponging.

No, I think you've missed the point. I've not seen anyone mention taking away jobs to give to JSA claimants.

Simply taking on the jobs that aren't done. Odd jobs.

Long-term claimants should be working for their money, it would encourage them to get back into work and stop sponging.

I'm not saying to take away jobs :hihi: I'm saying that if an employer can have someone who they don't have to pay, they won't employ staff and therefore more people would end up claiming JSA and the like.

And you'd have to work out what these 'odd jobs' are, and make sure nobody is doing them.

Oh, and the people who truly don't want to work, would just call in sick etc.. they'd find a way of not working.

I'm not saying to take away jobs :hihi: I'm saying that if an employer can have someone who they don't have to pay, they won't employ staff and therefore more people would end up claiming JSA and the like.

And you'd have to work out what these 'odd jobs' are, and make sure nobody is doing them.

Oh, and the people who truly don't want to work, would just call in sick etc.. they'd find a way of not working.

What employer are you referring to here?

I don't think you understand, no one is working for free in this situation!

Obviously you wouldn't need someone to do a job if it was already being done now would you?

If they didn't work, the benefits would be stopped, simple.

Edit: I've already explained which jobs I'm referring too, a few hours a week doing basic clean up jobs. I'm not suggesting private employers use job seekers as free employees, I believe you're missing that point.

Archived