Should Job Seekers be made to work?

The most recent jobs I advertised for were Marketing Assistant, Cleaner and Retail Assistant.

I assume you have a point?

So, you did not receive one application for any of those roles?

I find that very hard to believe.

On average, 4 jobs ish tend to go on the Jobcentre website per day. So even if only a handful of people went onto the website you would still receive a few applications.

And baring in mind that not only are people in Sheffield looking for jobs here, people from Rotherham, Barnsley, Chesterfield and Doncaster (and probably more) will be applying for jobs in Sheffield too.

No one can honestly say they are actively seeking work to the extent of applying for everything they could do and still be on JSA 6 months later, there ARE jobs. Take a look at a few job sites if you don't believe me.

But there are people who send out hundreds of applications every week yet get nowhere. This is because employers discriminate against the long-term unemployed (12 months unemployed or more).

Businesses must be financially penalised for not employing someone who has been out of work for a long period, and rewarded through the tax system for taking on a job seeker who is long-term unemployed.

It's not the fault of the long-term unemployed that they can't find work - it's the bosses. They are the ones who should be punished.

So, you did not receive one application for any of those roles?

I find that very hard to believe.

On average, 4 jobs ish tend to go on the Jobcentre website per day. So even if only a handful of people went onto the website you would still receive a few applications.

And baring in mind that not only are people in Sheffield looking for jobs here, people from Rotherham, Barnsley, Chesterfield and Doncaster (and probably more) will be applying for jobs in Sheffield too.

I didn't say I didn't receive one application. You decided that.

I've just had a look on the Jobcentre website and there are certainly more than 4 jobs per day going onto the site.

But there are people who send out hundreds of applications every week yet get nowhere. This is because employers discriminate against the long-term unemployed (12 months unemployed or more).

Businesses must be financially penalised for not employing someone who has been out of work for a long period, and rewarded through the tax system for taking on a job seeker who is long-term unemployed.

It's not the fault of the long-term unemployed that they can't find work - it's the bosses. They are the ones who should be punished.

What about before they reached 12 months unemployment? Why were employers discriminating then?

It's the typical response of the long-term unemployed "there are no jobs".

I lost my job 7 years ago and started my own business, I now employ people, this creates jobs.

No one can honestly say they are actively seeking work to the extent of applying for everything they could do and still be on JSA 6 months later, there ARE jobs. Take a look at a few job sites if you don't believe me.

The current rate of unemployment is 2 and a half million. How many of those would you consider to be long term...the sort you would punish?

What about those neglected areas of the country lacking in investment where what little funding there was has been reduced or withdrawn altogether? The rate of unemployment will be higher in these areas with no jobs within the immediate locale. This will create social problems on a scale unseen in my lifetime. (I'm 65 in June)

What it boils down to for me about your stance is your apparent willingness to believe that every single, long term unemployed person is some sort of criminal.

I can understand your aversion to the terminally work shy but really...come on...how many are there really?

Shouldn't the unemployed be applying for the jobs that are there?

The excuse "there are no jobs" doesn't work in this instance.

If you haven't gone out of your way to employ somebody who has been out of work for at least ten years then YOU are the problem, certainly not the solution.

Why should the poor be penalised because employers refuse to set on the long-term unemployed?

Archived