Should Job Seekers be made to work?

The current rate of unemployment is 2 and a half million. How many of those would you consider to be long term...the sort you would punish?

What about those neglected areas of the country lacking in investment where what little funding there was has been reduced or withdrawn altogether? The rate of unemployment will be higher in these areas with no jobs within the immediate locale. This will create social problems on a scale unseen in my lifetime. (I'm 65 in June)

What it boils down to for me about your stance is your apparent willingness to believe that every single, long term unemployed person is some sort of criminal.

I can understand your aversion to the terminally work shy but really...come on...how many are there really?

You say punish, are you referring to my opinion that they should work a few hours per week for their JSA after a certain period?

Is working punishment for them?

Another problem I have, which I have mentioned before is the lack of people throughout Sheffield that apply for jobs when I or friends of mine have advertised jobs.

This suggests not many applications, or very few?

I didn't say I didn't receive one application. You decided that.

I've just had a look on the Jobcentre website and there are certainly more than 4 jobs per day going onto the site.

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/listjob.aspx?sessionid=b8085ade-0f8d-46b8-a9be-2b14d4c4bbb3&pid=1&sid=277721344&p=1&so=5

6 jobs went on the website on the 1st (I said average)

7 on the 31st

7 on the 30th

3 on the 29th

4 on the 28th

4 on the 25th

2 on the 24th

3 on the 23rd

I can go further back if you like?

That was a search for all jobs in Sheffield..

If you haven't gone out of your way to employ somebody who has been out of work for at least ten years then YOU are the problem, certainly not the solution.

Why should the poor be penalised because employers refuse to set on the long-term unemployed?

Why are these people long-term unemployed?

10 years? How on earth can someone be unemployed for 10 years?

This suggests not many applications, or very few?

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/listjob.aspx?sessionid=b8085ade-0f8d-46b8-a9be-2b14d4c4bbb3&pid=1&sid=277721344&p=1&so=5

6 jobs went on the website on the 1st (I said average)

7 on the 31st

7 on the 30th

3 on the 29th

4 on the 28th

I can go further back if you like?

That was a search for all jobs in Sheffield..

I hope you're not currently looking for work? Because you don't know how to use the job centre website.

You have to select a category to see all the jobs posted, the overview doesn't show you them all.

Try it, you'll see what I mean.

I hope you're not currently looking for work? Because you don't know how to use the job centre website.

You have to select a category to see all the jobs posted, the overview doesn't show you them all.

Try it, you'll see what I mean.

So why does it give an example of typing ''all jobs''? http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/homepage.aspx?sessionid=e994ae8e-b71e-4e81-b339-fbb4f9747315&pid=2

Anyway, If I do a specific word.. for example office jobs.

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/listjob.aspx?sessionid=b8085ade-0f8d-46b8-a9be-2b14d4c4bbb3&pid=1&sid=277721824&p=1&so=5

3 on the 1st

2 on the 31st

4 on the 30th

3 on the 29th

3 on the 28th

You get the jist...

I'm not actually, but, I use mysheffieldjobs.co.uk rather than the Jobcentre website, as I know it's useless :)

You say punish, are you referring to my opinion that they should work a few hours per week for their JSA after a certain period?

Is working punishment for them?[/QUOTE]

Not in my book! It's plain to everyone who has read this thread that you are the one propounding that philosophy. :)

Is working punishment for them?[/QUOTE]

Not in my book! It's plain to everyone who has read this thread that you are the one propounding that philosophy. :)

Actually my suggestion was that they work for their JSA. You implied this was punishment, your words. Not mine.

So why does it give an example of typing ''all jobs''? http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/homepage.aspx?sessionid=e994ae8e-b71e-4e81-b339-fbb4f9747315&pid=2

Anyway, If I do a specific word.. for example office jobs.

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/listjob.aspx?sessionid=b8085ade-0f8d-46b8-a9be-2b14d4c4bbb3&pid=1&sid=277721824&p=1&so=5

3 on the 1st

2 on the 31st

4 on the 30th

3 on the 29th

3 on the 28th

You get the jist...

I'm not actually, but, I use mysheffieldjobs.co.uk rather than the Jobcentre website, as I know it's useless :)

I'll give you some help, for example if I select 3 categories linked to selling, cashier, customer care and door to door selling jobs in Sheffield I get 10 results on the 1st JUST for those three job titles.

There are A LOT of jobs going on that website everyday, clearly people just don't know how to use it!

I'll give you some help, for example if I select 3 categories linked to selling, I get 10 results on the 1st JUST for those three job titles.

There are A LOT of jobs going on that website everyday, clearly people just don't know how to use it!

I did select the three categories? I selected office type jobs that are quite general.

What did you search for?

Archived