Should Job Seekers be made to work?

some off us on JSA do community work while looking for work as it increases your chances of word of mouth jobs, its how i found my job before going on maternity leave, you have to declare it at job centre (and they are often not intrested)

i'm sure the community work i did and what you may have in mind could be very different?!

some off us on JSA do community work while looking for work as it increases your chances of word of mouth jobs, its how i found my job before going on maternity leave, you have to declare it at job centre (and they are often not intrested)

i'm sure the community work i did and what you may have in mind could be very different?!

I didnt have anything in mind really but i can see the advantages of learning new skills etc

Pfft, I've been doing community work for years, so many different jobs that my CV is 3 pages long, but because I don't have references dating that far back, the Agencies think I've made it all up! :rant:

I know what you mean, ive had over 40 jobs (seriously) imagine if i listed all of those on my CV :)

No, they shouldn't be forced to work, besides the fact there's no jobs available, hence the fact the jobs pages in the Star on a Thursday have shrunk to just 1 page lately, not everyone is capable of full time work, what if they're disabled or have kids/relatives to look after?

If they where disabled they would not be on JSA.They should at least do a days voluntary work so that they arnt getting JSA for nothing.

I didnt have anything in mind really but i can see the advantages of learning new skills etc

the benefit of doing unpaid work is getting out of the house, meeting people and hearing about vacancies, as its easy to become "stuck in" you just have to make sure the work is within walking distance as the money they give you to live on is just enough to cover bills let alone transport to an unpaid job

they do offer the scheme now where you can work (paid) for a few weeks trial at a place (not sure what its called maybe "work trial") with maybe a job at the end of it

If they where disabled they would not be on JSA.They should at least do a days voluntary work so that they arnt getting JSA for nothing.

I agree to be honest, and I claimed JSA for 5 months before I found work, so i cant say without prejudice to people on JSA, it did me the world of good, but not everyone thinks like this

the benefit of doing unpaid work is getting out of the house, meeting people and hearing about vacancies, as its easy to become "stuck in" you just have to make sure the work is within walking distance as the money they give you to live on is just enough to cover bills let alone transport to an unpaid job

they do offer the scheme now where you can work (paid) for a few weeks trial at a place (not sure what its called maybe "work trial") with maybe a job at the end of it

Walking distance? Pfft, my current voluntary position's in Rotherham, takes me 2 buses to get there, and they're moving in May, so it'll take me nearly twice as long to get there, got to decide if it's worth the faffing about really, 3 hours round trip to Hellaby and back to work for 3 hours one day a week, I work for South Yorkshire Police as a Police Support Volunteer, have done for about 2 and half years.

On and if there's drinks going, mine's white coffee, no sugar (I'm sweet enough, lol :hihi: )

Walking distance? Pfft, my current voluntary position's in Rotherham, takes me 2 buses to get there, and they're moving in May, so it'll take me nearly twice as long to get there, got to decide if it's worth the faffing about really, 3 hours round trip to Hellaby and back to work for 3 hours one day a week, O work for South Yorkshire Police as a Police Support Volunteer, have done for about 2 and half years.

unpaid you cant expect people paying rent and bills to travel on buses when the cost of public transport is high.. even on JSA £65 per week is a tiny amount when you have bills to pay

im in agreement with working unpaid while on JSA however it has to be within reason

Archived