Should Job Seekers be made to work?

The reason I find working for your £65 JSA a week is ridiculous, is because you have to take into consideration of travel fares, meal allowances, bills that you need to pay each week, and to essentially live day by day each week all on a budget of £65 JSA a week.

Anyone voice your opinion, if you could survive on this amount per week while been forced to work for your JSA.

I think anyone who is unemployed and serious about gaining employment would like to be working and earning a decent wage each week. But working for JSA is just defeating the object of how to get the long-term unemployed off benefits and back into work in my opinion. It's not a realistic solution to the problem at hand is it?.

The reason I find working for your £65 JSA a week is ridiculous, is because you have to take into consideration of travel fares, meal allowances, bills that you need to pay each week, and to essentially live day by day each week all on a budget of £65 JSA a week.

Anyone voice your opinion, if you could survive on this amount per week while been forced to work for your JSA.

I think anyone who is unemployed and serious about gaining employment would like to be working and earning a decent wage each week. But working for JSA is just defeating the object of how to get the long-term unemployed off benefits and back into work in my opinion. It's not a realistic solution to the problem at hand is it?.

No it's not a realistic solution, please indicate the point at which I suggested it was. That's the question in the OP and that's how I have answered it.

Once again, everyone on JSA should be seeking employment and should be serious about it, if not they shouldn't be receiving JSA.

I would suggest that you have problems understanding text.

I can see how your points would be relevant to my suggestions if I were suggesting any sort of punishment. However, I am not, so they are not.

The use of coercion to enforce work on people who receive, what is (compensation) after all for their situation is a punitive sanction. Benefit is an entitlement, not a privilege.

That entitlement is predicated on the moral foundation of human need. To suggest that a person (must) perform work to legitimise his/her claims for basic human welfare removes this inalienable right, and replaces it with externally defined conditions which are derived from a misuse of state authority. Hence the term "inalienable" or undeniable rights. They are not the playthings of whichever or whatever Fascist or Stalinist dictator says they are. They are ours by right, and no jumped up tin pot dictator has the right to suggest otherwise.

The suggestion itself indicts the proponent to the status of dictator. Negating as it does the assumption of inalienable rights.

Reading and comprehension are not equivalent. As your responses have shown.

"So my question is Should people on JSA be made to do other things like community work etc?"

This means that the OP wishes to know if respondents believe people claiming Job Seekers Allowance (the most common benefit, paid to those seeking employment) should be made to do things such as community work etc. The etc appears to be open to suggestion.

However, no mention of banks or any other parties, only those on JSA.

"Why should I get free money and give nothing back"

Well you should take that opinion up with the government then shouldn't you?, as they were the ones who introduced JSA to this country.

As long as I meet the job seekers terms and conditions, then I'm not breaking the law am I?

Well it's a total different kettle of fish if I am working then isn't it, having to pay money out of my hard earned wages like everyone else who works to cover taxes that are paying off a debt that the government got this country into in the first place.

Well I did not say that nobody suggested working less than minimum wage, it's just that in your opinion of working for JSA, then you somehow think that we are working for minimum wage by gaining the £65 a week the government say's we should be entitled to for seeking employment.

"Why should I get free money and give nothing back"

Well you should take that opinion up with the government then shouldn't you?, as they were the ones who introduced JSA to this country.

As long as I meet the job seekers terms and conditions, then I'm not breaking the law am I?

Well it's a total different kettle of fish if I am working then isn't it, having to pay money out of my hard earned wages like everyone else who works to cover taxes that are paying off a debt that the government got this country into in the first place.

Well I did not say that nobody suggested working less than minimum wage, it's just that in your opinion of working for JSA, then you somehow think that we are working for minimum wage by gaining the £65 a week the government say's we should be entitled to for seeking employment.

If you're not seeking work whilst claiming the benefit, you're stealing. I can't make my opinion on that any clearer.

10 hours per week, for the £65 JSA is above minimum wage. Do you have a calculator? You could check it out.

If you're working, your taxes cover much more than "paying off a debt that the government got this country into in the first place", quite obviously.

Archived