Should Job Seekers be made to work?

Tony,

there is everything wrong with that, people have families and other commitments like spending their time doing something more constructive, like using their spare time looking for work and not doing charity or community service work, unless that would be of any benefit to them.

Doing that sort of work would more or less impair your chances of employment these days, as employers are too hard hearted on who they employ based on their recruitment strategy. There doesn't seem to be equal rights and opportunities available when you are considered long-term unemployed.

There are tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of social enterprises and charities that will be able to put JSA claimants hours to good use in providing additional community benefit.

What's so wrong about that?

I also think that the people genuinely seeking work will be doing voluntary work anyway in order to enhance their future prospects and so that they don't get bored, unemployment must be extremely boring.

No wonder the government is ditching new deal contracts, as they were wasting money, as it was costing them nearly the rate of 2 years standard salary to get 1 person off new deal into employment.

In my opinion, people only got a job while on new deal, as employers took the advantage of milking some money out of the new deal scheme, through the employment subsidy of up to £1000 per new deal applicant they employed.

How is doing a few hours work for the money you're receiving stopping these rights?

It violates intrinsic human rights to self determination. Which if you have read “The Wealth of Nations” the bible for all free trade types, also destroys the basis for rational government and entrepreneurial innovation and creativity? You remove free will and self determination and you have violated individual identity.

This is the (supposed) basis for all criticisms of Communism. That it dictates what people think and feel. Thus removing their free will to choose and determine their own prosperity. Based, and derived from, their felt sense of liberty. Which enables (in theory) self belief and commercial innovation.

This isn't a sense which you can opt in and out of the bits you like or you don't. People feel free or they feel controlled. Feeling controlled immobilises creativity and innovation. And leads to the very alienation the policy is supposed to ameliorate.

Psychology underscores this need to feel free, and much of modern therapeutic work recognises this as a requisite for successful individuation.

Unless people unite under collective program of reform which celebrates and rewards on the basis of cooperative mutual interest.

dave_dave,

sounds to me, like you are taking it out on the unemployed, because your life is so boring and miserable. All you ever seem to do is complain, maybe you should quit your current job and join the ranks of the unemployed and maybe get a feel what life is like. You may find employment in another job that you may enjoy, and actually make you feel a better person and much happier.

seems to me you have nothing else better to do, than bitch and moan about the unemployed. Maybe you are jealous? Because you are working. Who knows?.

Have a nice day

dave_dave,

sounds to me, like you are taking it out on the unemployed, because your life is so boring and miserable. All you ever seem to do is complain, maybe you should quit your current job and join the ranks of the unemployed and maybe get a feel what life is like. You may find employment in another job that you may enjoy, and actually make you feel a better person and much happier.

seems to me you have nothing else better to do, than bitch and moan about the unemployed. Maybe you are jealous? Because you are working. Who knows?.

Have a nice day

I work for myself and wouldn't have it any other way. You may be happy relying on others but I certainly would not be.

Do you not have a sense of guilt that you can't provide for your own family?

I know exactly what life is actually, and have plenty to fill my days including luxuries you will never experience as a benefit claimant.

I really don't see what there is to be jealous of?

Tony,

there is everything wrong with that, people have families and other commitments like spending their time doing something more constructive, like using their spare time looking for work and not doing charity or community service work, unless that would be of any benefit to them.

Doing that sort of work would more or less impair your chances of employment these days, as employers are too hard hearted on who they employ based on their recruitment strategy. There doesn't seem to be equal rights and opportunities available when you are considered long-term unemployed.

How about people with jobs who volunteer, how do you think they find the time?

Archived