Should Job Seekers be made to work?

This is quite a straight forward question really, peolpe who can and want to work should be in work as there are jobs out there. I work for an organisation in Sheffield helping the non workers (don't like using unemployed as it is a label)back into work. We are not an agency and my job is to find employers wishing to take people on work trials for a period of 2 weeks to get substainable employment. If i can find on average 10-15 employers per week wishing to do this and commit to giving PT/FT jobs at the end of two weeks then if i can do this then so can the really keen job seekers.

This is quite a straight forward question really, peolpe who can and want to work should be in work as there are jobs out there. I work for an organisation in Sheffield helping the non workers (don't like using unemployed as it is a label)back into work. We are not an agency and my job is to find employers wishing to take people on work trials for a period of 2 weeks to get substainable employment. If i can find on average 10-15 employers per week wishing to do this and commit to giving PT/FT jobs at the end of two weeks then if i can do this then so can the really keen job seekers.

I agree, when I left college at 18 I wanted a clerical job in an office but I had studied science and had no office experience so found it hard to find someone to take me on. So I registered and did temp work at an agency, it would be a day here and maybe 4 days there and at best two weeks at one place, mostly doing reception cover and a bit of admin. But I would always get placed at least one day a week with a company. I did this for 4 months and it gave me great experience, seeing differnt organisations. Even with one day a week, the pay was not far from what I would have got on JSA.

A lot of the professional agencies I know of are struggling to find the 4 week placements as part of the New Deal mandatory work related activity. Also are you making sure that these people are insured while on the work trial?

A lot of the professional agencies I know of are struggling to find the 4 week placements as part of the New Deal mandatory work related activity. Also are you making sure that these people are insured while on the work trial?

JC+ wouldn't be sending them if they weren't insured. Can you imagine the press that would generate otherwise?

Archived