Should Job Seekers be made to work?

Some people claiming JSA are unmotivated, lazy and playing the system, just as some people in paid employment are unmotivated, and not putting in 100%, we shouldn’t generalise.

If you do find yourself amongst the long-term unemployed, doing some form of voluntary work will keep you sane, even if it’s just for a few hours a week.

Are people suggesting that unemployed people should offer their services free of charge?

P.S. If there are any unemployed plumbers out there willing to work for tea and biscuits, I’ve a kitchen that needs fitting.

Some people claiming JSA are unmotivated, lazy and playing the system, just as some people in paid employment are unmotivated, and not putting in 100%, we shouldn’t generalise.

If you do find yourself amongst the long-term unemployed, doing some form of voluntary work will keep you sane, even if it’s just for a few hours a week.

Are people suggesting that unemployed people should offer their services free of charge?

P.S. If there are any unemployed plumbers out there willing to work for tea and biscuits, I’ve a kitchen that needs fitting.

Your last sentence made me laugh! :hihi:

People who are motivated often do some voluntary work regardless of their employment status. People who are in paid work also find time to volunteer, as do many retired people. Its a mindset, just like having a work ethic.

Megalithic identified his need to do something when he was out of work, but many people have no concept of doing anything for nothing, in fact some don't want to do anything at all.

Does this start in infancy - from being brought up in families where there are no working examples? Should we now be asking schools to introduce teaching about the values of work from an early age to fill the gaps left by inadequate parenting?

So the cretins who aren't looking for jobs would take up the jobs that genuine people want? My sister has no experience in any job, and she looks on shop websites every day for part time work while she studies and she's not had so much as an interview. She has been looking every day since she was 16... She is 18 next week... Surely that's unfair.

The idiots who **** away their chance would get taken on over her? Yeah good idea.

So the cretins who aren't looking for jobs would take up the jobs that genuine people want? My sister has no experience in any job, and she looks on shop websites every day for part time work while she studies and she's not had so much as an interview. She has been looking every day since she was 16... She is 18 next week... Surely that's unfair.

The idiots who **** away their chance would get taken on over her? Yeah good idea.

She's been looking for two years and hasn't found a job? Not a chance in hell. There are plenty of jobs available for people that age, along with apprenticeships coming up everyday on Sheffield Futures, with the hundreds available through The Sun jobs, and apprenticeships.org.uk.

Haven't really read most of this thread, but they shouldn't just take up random jobs, but do some sort of community service instead.

She's been looking for two years and hasn't found a job? Not a chance in hell. There are plenty of jobs available for people that age, along with apprenticeships coming up everyday on Sheffield Futures, with the hundreds available through The Sun jobs, and apprenticeships.org.uk.

Haven't really read most of this thread, but they shouldn't just take up random jobs, but do some sort of community service instead.

Which is what everyone has been saying, so your spot on there.

Should employed people receiving child benefit (or any other benefits for that matter), be made to work extra hours, in order to receive these benefits?

I wholeheartedly agree that volunteer work provides an opportunity for the participant to feel fulfilled and useful, and undoubtedly (for the unemployed) it improves their job prospects, but the keyword here is 'voluntary'. Surely, forcing people to undertake some sort of community service, undermines the work volunteers have been doing for years, without the need for compulsion.

"If you're on the dole you should be doing some sort of community service, whether it is litter picking, cutting grass, painting council property, whatever is available."

That's all well and good, put people pick litter up for a living, and I'm sure there are gardening firms and painters and decorators that rely on this work to survive. If all this is being done on the cheap by jobseekers then it will make more people redundant, which creates more problems than it solves.

Back to the drawing board I think...

No, they shouldn't be made to work.

It wouldn't benefit people who work either, if employers know they can have people for free. More people would lose their jobs, and less people would hire.

Stupid idea tbh.

THIS - also, the government raising the retirement age has made the employment situation worse IMO (older people staying in work for however much longer it is now, meaning the people below them can't get the promotion, meaning the company doesn't need new juniors so isn't recruiting at the moment...)

If they where disabled they would not be on JSA.They should at least do a days voluntary work so that they arnt getting JSA for nothing.

hmmm what if you were sent home before a shift had even started because you told a prospective employer you had epilepsy? Disability comes in all varities think please before felings are hurt :rant:

Archived