Should we be arming the Libyan rebels..

Why? Cos they got the money, lots of it and a whole arsenal of modern weaponry, planes, missiles, tanks, heavy artillery. They also have an American trained army.

Time they stepped up to the plate. I don't want my tax dollars spent on trying yet again to bring "democracy and freedom" to another Muslim country

Sorry, i should of explained it better, if Saudi Arabia launched an attack on Libya it would just cause massive unrest in an already fragile middle east, not to mention of it's own internal problem that would happen.

Saudi Arabia is also experiencing internal issues like Syria, Yemen and Oman, if they invaded Libya, god knows what would happen.

What about Sirte? Gadhaffi's home town?

Is the UN goingto beat crap out of the rebel army which is attacking civilians there?

It was the Libyan government that attacked the protesters with live rounds in the first place, the rebels are advancing west (or at least trying too) they have limited weaponry and knowledge of how to use them, they are trying to get people on their side but not by force.

I don't know where you got rebels attacking civilians though but lets face it it's Gaddafi's home town, the possibilities are there for his supporters to be "bulled up" just like in any Civil war.

Man fighting man on the streets is fare game, much more then jets dropping bombs on civilians, hence the UN and the NFZ.

Where did you find that out about BP wanting to arm the Libyan opposition? I can't find anything online in the news that backs you up and I suspect it's just something you assumed to be true.

BP will be anxious about their oil prospects, but the oil isn't going anywhere at the moment.

It's my opinion. Given the fact that it was BP who wanted Libyan oil and thus Blair and co made some sort of agreement with Gaddafi. BP have a huge vested interest in the area and now the government have sided with the rebels, they will be anxious that the current regime is overthrown, cos if it's not, Gaddafi certainly won't be welcoming any company related to the UK back there anytime soon.

This is the west's perfect excuse to get rid of someone who they have hated for years. This is not about protecting the poor people of Libya, it's about settling a score and regime change and it just happens, we in the UK, have a bigger interest than most, hence why we are shouting the loudest.

It was the Libyan government that attacked the protesters with live rounds in the first place, the rebels are advancing west (or at least trying too) they have limited weaponry and knowledge of how to use them, they are trying to get people on their side but not by force.

I don't know where you got rebels attacking civilians though but lets face it it's Gaddafi's home town, the possibilities are there for his supporters to be "bulled up" just like in any Civil war.

Man fighting man on the streets is fare game, much more then jets dropping bombs on civilians, hence the UN and the NFZ.

This is a rather naive take on the situation.....

We simply can't afford to be involved given we are massively cutting back frontline services right now.

But can we afford not to be involved.? if the rebels now fail and Gadaffi takes full control of Libya, then as Agent Orange has said, Gadaffi is not gonna be too keen to do any more business with us, and what effect will it have on our future oil supplies

i have a feeling that now Mr Cameron has pushed us in this far, we may have to pursue it to the end, and even if supplying the rebels is still not enough,(they seem a very ill trained rag tag bunch) will he send in British ground troops as well...

Archived