What are my rights?

Good to hear, but how is it enforced? When I had my trouble, I needed a working car asap and certainly didn't have funds to take any action against the dealer myself.

ask them if you can swap the car for another of equal value as the car they sold is not fit for purpose

This has some relevant info:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

I once tried to reject a car under the Sales of Goods Act the day after I bought it (it broke down twice!). Trading standards told me exactly what to say. The dealer laughed in my face and told me to sue him. I ended up selling it back to him at a £500 loss. A very unhappy experience.:(

So why didn't you issue court proceedings? It wouldn't have cost you more than £50 and he'd have probably paid up once he got the papers.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Howtocomplainaboutgoodsandservices/DG_196229

Try this out, the credit provider would probably be easier to deal with if the car dealer isn't being as helpful.

I've been to small claims court twice myself and once with a friend and it really is alot easier than it seems plus the maximum court fee for small claims is around £100 now I think if you can file online. Thats for under £5000 over £5000 the fee is higher but you can still file.

All my claims were about the same holiday i'm not just someone who likes courts :hihi:

So why didn't you issue court proceedings? It wouldn't have cost you more than £50 and he'd have probably paid up once he got the papers.

What funds do you imagine you need?

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

File your claim here, it'll cost about £50, you don't need a solicitor.

Very sensible, and I would certainly do that if the same thing happened now. However, at the time I needed a working car there and then. I also knew nothing about issuing court proceedings - you certainly couldn't have done it online back then - and I literally couldn't spare the time during office hours to get proper advice. I struggled to get a proper lunch!

I'm not saying "boo hoo, poor me". I'm well over it!:D I'm just making the point that things don't always work out as nicely in practice as they do in theory. Being without a car whilst proceedings plodded on would probably have cost me almost as much in train fares as I eventually lost on the car. Things might have resolved quickly, but I couldn't take the chance.

If I was in the same work situation now, even with the advantages of the internet and mobile phones, I would probably make the same call again.

The 1 month warranty is useless. There's no such thing unless you have it in writing or paperwork from the 3rd party warranty company.

You are covered under the SOGA.

Loads of help on the web re. buying from a dealer.

It sounds like you have bought a lemon unfortunately but at least the dealer is trying to sort it.

If it goes wrong again after the latest trip to the dealer I think you have grounds to reject the car. Don't be fobbed off with the dealer saying its out of "warranty".

Read up on the SOGA and go armed with the knowledge.

Be prepared to go to the small claims court if necessary.

The 1 month warranty is useless. There's no such thing unless you have it in writing or paperwork from the 3rd party warranty company.

You are covered under the SOGA.

Loads of help on the web re. buying from a dealer.

It sounds like you have bought a lemon unfortunately but at least the dealer is trying to sort it.

If it goes wrong again after the latest trip to the dealer I think you have grounds to reject the car. Don't be fobbed off with the dealer saying its out of "warranty".

Read up on the SOGA and go armed with the knowledge.

Be prepared to go to the small claims court if necessary.

Well ive just got the car bck again after them having it for 2 days.

Promised me it was fixed and guess what??

It isnt.

They now want it back so they can fix it again.

This is SERIOUSLY grinding my gears now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In just under a month it has been backl to them 6 or 7 times, i bought a car so i wouldnt have to use public transport. Now im using it more than ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well ive just got the car bck again after them having it for 2 days.

Promised me it was fixed and guess what??

It isnt.

They now want it back so they can fix it again.

This is SERIOUSLY grinding my gears now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In just under a month it has been backl to them 6 or 7 times, i bought a car so i wouldnt have to use public transport. Now im using it more than ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell them to replace it with different car or you are cancelling payments and going to trading standards

Archived