Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

I have a copy of Our Clubs dated June9th 1971 price 3p. One of my aunts had kept it as there was a tribute to my late father in it as he had been concert sec at the AEU club.

Here are some of the clubs advertising in it and some of the turns who were appearing there at the time:

Eastwood View WMC Patrick McClusky , Pam Hough

Shiregreen WMC Miss X was on twice

Midhill WMC Steve Denton and the Mystery Train

Hillfoot WMC R S Jays Show

Woodhouse West End The Heatwave, Edith on the organ

Ecclesall Non Pol Sir James Linacre

Pitsmoor,Queens Rd, La Plata,Tinsley , Burnaby St. Dial House,Darnall Horti,

Burngreave Club, Philadephian, Burngreave libs , Darnall Aqueduct,Limes,Foundry Workers,Grimesthorpe social, The Amberley Hotel were some of the venues who had turns on.

Duggie Brown, Doreen Beales , Turnstyle,the Chapman Brown Show , Lynne Perrie and The Duane Marcel Four are names who people may well recall who were appearing locally that week.

blimey, dunnit bring back the memories. I went on the trips to mablethorpe from the loco club in the 60's. The ticket was 2/6 and you got 10/- spending money as well as tear-off tickets for lunch and tea. The coaches (chara's) lined up in pye bank road. At the time it looked amazing even if there were only ten or twelve of them.

Must admit that i (and my younger sister) spent most of the time blowing our 10/- in the amusement arcades. But it was great fun with hardly a spot of trouble. Changed days, huh.

hi all i remember sixpence a week to mr ludlow shirehall rd shiregreen when i was 6 in 1960 for trips to the seaside...im mick brewster

• 2 months later...

I remember going to Mablethorpe with Loco Club in the late 60's.We got ten bob spending money,tickets for dinner and tea and tickets to go on the rides.It was organised by a committee man called Charlie Stead,he did everything for kids on Pitsmoor.

Smashing bloke.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the exact location of Firth Park WMC when it was on Hucklow Road? It was housed in a wooden building (photo in lobby of current club at Idsworth Road).

I believe it was in use in the early 1920s.