Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

Yes there were some rough musicians and yes there were some rough artistes. However, there were some extremely talented musicians and artistes too. Many up and coming entertainers did their apprenticeships on the w.m.clubs not like x factor types, where some 'unknown' sings a couple of songs and becomes a 'star' overnight. I was a club musician from the mid 60's till late 80's, and worked with some rubbish acts etc. but I have to say that occaisionally acts came along that it was a privelidge to work with. I have worked with many of the acts that have been mentioned so far on this thread.My father, Ernest, who sadly passed away last Christmas, worked as a club musician for over 30yrs (Bellhouse Road wmc) and prior to that played at just about every major theatre in the uk. He started on the theatre circuit with a concert party, playing piano at age 15 and first broadcast on BBC radio at age 17. He worked with many artistes over the years who later went on to become household names. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who remembers ' Ernest & Jimmy' from Bellhouse.

As a kid we went to Grimesthorpe club, can't remember any of the acts other than the Disco's, I was too young. Unfortunately that club went. In the late 80's early 90's I used to go to Idsworth Road club. I'm sure Stan and Doreen were the stewards there aswell. The disco's were always popular still but I remember a group called The Linnekers. They consisted of the father who sang with his 2 sons. I loved them and they always filled the club, (really fancied one of them). Anyone else remember them??

By the way The Gutterband are playing at the Victoria Tavern in Withernsea on 3rd Nov. Couldn't believe it when I saw the poster, thought they'd finished years ago.

Yes you are right lolalola, Stan and Doreen did go to Idsworth Road after leaving the Rads (they had a son called Darren - don't know if you remember him as well?)

Seeing a mention of the Gutterband, I've seen somewhere in the last day or two that they have re-formed after a contractual problem with the name ( something about there being 2 gutterbands). It may have been in the Star, or maybe the Mercury.

Boy, does this thread bring back memories... 'Memories'.

I remember a bloke on the door at some club who woudn't let us in unless we paid admission, even though we were the act!

Club drummers who were ab-so-lute-ly crap.

Chairmen who would shout at the audience to 'GIVE ORDER PLEEESE' while you were struggling through a 'bad salad' (sad ballad).

Yes the dreaded volume metre which would cut you off if you went over a few decibles. My band decide to play them at their own game and turned down until all you could hear was the cash register behind the bar.

We started out as The Harlem Nocturnes, then the Nocturnes, then Who's Who, and didn't we have some fun with that name and con secs.

Yes I agree some of the organists and drummers were rough ,but conversely some were damn good and a few had that wow factor that gave your ears a real treat.And remember it took some courage to back some artists who threw crumpled pieces of paper at them with the dots of a song that they had never heard a few minutes earlier in the dressing room.Also I remember the type of club official you describe with fond memories but this was tempered with some officials who were best described as lifes gentlemen.

It's funny that the W.M.C's which played such a big part in peoples lives in the 60's and 70's is hardly mentioned here,perhaps the majority are not on the internet,(or have died)

has any wmc catered for the smokers, only i have had a good look around when passing one or two and did'nt see any shelters.

some old dear in my local ss(85 plus) totally forgot about the ban and lit a fag up, bless her, it was'nt untill she asked where the ashtray was untill she realised, she could not appologise enough.

sheffield lane top club have quite good turns,not every week mind

Yes, they do. I used to go in quite often when i lived back in Shiregreen with my boyfriend and they had some real decent stuff on. Haven't been in there for ages although my family still go in there every weekend.

I can remember Gerry Dorsey akna Humperdink. He lodged with my friends Nan in Firth Park and Ithough he was such a hunk in those days. Mind you that was when I was about 14 years old and not saying my age. Anyone remember seeing him on the club circuit?