Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

Alistair from radiation now lives in south africa. He was home and in meadowhall last month talking about the good life out there. His brother mega (bass player) still lives in sheffield.

yes yes this is true, alistair(my dad) is out here in s.a. my uncle chris is living in spain now, who is this?i must get my dad on this thing, he would love it.....

As Fuddyduddy said earlier, it is a bit surprising that more hasn't been mentioned about the 'workies', as thousands of people used to have nights out there. A thread has been running on here regarding the bands of the sixties, but what about all the single acts. Singers, comics, magicians,etc. I know some have passed on but some of them may still be around and I think some deserve a mention. Do you remember: Paul Brian, Carol Ann Jones, Ron Delta, Brian Jones, Lynne Perrie, Max Churchill, Barry Anthony and Ray Young, Martin Brand, Haley, Glen Dale, Dave Green, Johnny Breslin, George Washington, Cheese & Onion, Mark Fallon,Anna Lisa, Claude Powell, Greg Mackenzie, Leon Ryalls,Vincent....come on help me out here! Who do you remember?

Some good acts there Andypandy. I know that quite a few have passed on as you say but a few of them are still around. Haley, Glen Dale, Greg Mckenzie and Barry Cheese from cheese and onion , they are all still going. I know that Claude Powell runs a boarding house in Blackpool with His wife and he still sings now and again. Nice guy is Claude, I used to play golf with him in the 1980's. By the way Andypandy, I know who you are, were related. I will only say Sockett to me.

Thanks for that Andypandy. Yes I'm ok.

To go back to the original content of this thread, Firth Park W.M.C. is struggling along these days.They are still keeping their heads above water, but for how long I don't know. I go in on a Sunday night and the concert room is only half full, not like the old days eh!. Bellhouse and Shiregreen are two more that are only just keeping going.

Young un's today don't want W.M.C's. They would rather go down town on a Friday or a Saturday night and pay £3-50 or so for a bottle of lager.

God, I must stop whingeing. It must be my age. See you soon.

The reasons for wmc's becoming less popular are many, but mainly because they failed to move with the times. Over the years as peoples expectations of a night out became a little more sophisticated, a lot of clubs(not all I admit) were still like village halls. The format of a generally mediocre artistes 'spot' followed by bingo, followed by another 'spot' followed by members draws, raffles and more bingo then followed by another 'spot' became all too predictable and stuck in the 50's/60's. They were run by commitees with generally, little business acumen. The concert room was usually run by a chairman who hadn't the first idea how to put a show together (and why should he have as he was probably a welder or a retired machine operator). The public loves to be entertained and are now used to seeing showbiz on tv and video, full of pazazz and slick production.Obviously the club budget wouldn't run to this but there are better ways than ' come on now settle down and give order ' ......... The name itself 'Working Mens Club' conjures up a picture of dismal decor and canteen furniture. The only way the existing ones will eventually survive is to change their image,bring in new ideas, professional entertainment managers,and give the punters a good night out

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my word! Thanks for the thread, have very much enjoyed the trip down memory lane. My dad worked on the clubs with most of the acts mentioned and i have vivid memories as a kid, following him around setting up his gear and then plonked next the committee man at the side of the stage with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps for the night. My dad was Dave Newman..billed as Sheffields 'Big O'. Maybe a bit bias here, but you couldnt get a better Roy Orbison except for the man himself! Our house in the 60/70's were always full of turns & parties, we used to sit on the stairs while they were all having a drink, how we ever got up for school I dont know! A few not mentioned are Ted Bear ,Dave Green,Brian Caroll,Paul Shane... and who remembers the 'Clubland Review' with lots of acts getting together for charity? Sadly my dad suddenly passed away in 2000, but what a life we all had!

Oh my word! Thanks for the thread, have very much enjoyed the trip down memory lane. My dad worked on the clubs with most of the acts mentioned and i have vivid memories as a kid, following him around setting up his gear and then plonked next the committee man at the side of the stage with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps for the night. My dad was Dave Newman..billed as Sheffields 'Big O'. Maybe a bit bias here, but you couldnt get a better Roy Orbison except for the man himself! Our house in the 60/70's were always full of turns & parties, we used to sit on the stairs while they were all having a drink, how we ever got up for school I dont know! A few not mentioned are Ted Bear ,Dave Green,Brian Caroll,Paul Shane... and who remembers the 'Clubland Review' with lots of acts getting together for charity? Sadly my dad suddenly passed away in 2000, but what a life we all had!

Oh dawnie, you are so lucky! I can remember seeing the kids of the 'turns' sitting watching their parents on stage and I remember thinking, ooh I wish my dad was a singer! Funny how you think when you're little!