Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

Hello Doug Muir. Yes Frank White is still alive and playing. Saw him a few couple of months ago in Sheffield at the Riverside pub, just round the corner from the bottom of Corporation Street. It was a great night. I think he plays there every so often so if anyone wants to have a good (noisey) night out get yourselves down there. Not sure what the pub used to be called but Iseem to recall The Brown Cow but I am not sure someone here will correct me if I am wrong.

Thought I had put a message on here but it isn't here. Yes Doug Frank White is still alive and playing, fantastically, in Sheffield. Saw him a couple of months ago at the pub that is now called The Riverside it is just round the corner from the bottom of Corporation Street, I seem to remember it as The Brown Cow! I am sure if I am wrong someone will correct me . It was a fantastic night and I am hoping to see him again when I next hear he is playing there. The last time I saw him prior to that night was when he used to play at the Pheasant at Sheffield Lane Top.....and that is a long time ago.

I worked with Ron Delta, many, many times over the years. In my eyes he was one of the greatest comics of all time. I've been out of touch with the club scene for quite a while now, but I'm sure that I'd heard that he died some years ago. A lot of good comics rely on their script and thats fair enough, however, Ron was a natural. Certainly he had his 'routines' ( many of which I knew by heart) but even off stage he was a naturally very funny man. His mimicking of regional accents within his gags was awesome. I along with loads of other muso's and artistes, did a benefit gig for him at Idsworth Rd club when he was 'retiring' due to his blindness. Thankfully that was not the last we saw of him. He would turn up early at the club and pace out the whole stage to remember where everything was and even did gags about his blindness. I loved the man.

I worked with Ron Delta, many, many times over the years. In my eyes he was one of the greatest comics of all time. I've been out of touch with the club scene for quite a while now, but I'm sure that I'd heard that he died some years ago. A lot of good comics rely on their script and thats fair enough, however, Ron was a natural. Certainly he had his 'routines' ( many of which I knew by heart) but even off stage he was a naturally very funny man. His mimicking of regional accents within his gags was awesome. I along with loads of other muso's and artistes, did a benefit gig for him at Idsworth Rd club when he was 'retiring' due to his blindness. Thankfully that was not the last we saw of him. He would turn up early at the club and pace out the whole stage to remember where everything was and even did gags about his blindness. I loved the man.

Hiya Handy Pandy,

I loved Ron also. He was a genuine guy.Unfortunatly when I moved away from South Yorkshire I lost touch with everyone, now I feel cheated.Ron once told me that just before he contracted Sugar Glucoma, he had auditioned for a TV Pilot show. He took ill with his diabetes, and another comedian stepped into Rons shoes and the show was called sez lez( Les Dawson) I dont know how much of this is true? as Ron was always joking.

Thanks babyboom, I knew someone would get back on this. Hey if any of the people on this site are interested in going sometime please let me know. They have some good night in there, although I have only been a few times I have really had a good time.

In the late 1960's my dad was the concert sec at the AEU club on Stanley St.

Some of the names I can recall as a child and youth I might add were his big drinking partners Fred Beard , Tommy Murphy and Bunny a Gordon Strachan lookalike. I also recall fellow committee men Eric Marshall and Billy Balme.

Turns I remember were Tony Irvine and the Typhoons , the Greycats and the first black comedian I ever saw Benny Nightingale.

My dad was the concert sec at the aeu club for as long as I can remember, booking acts like Gerry Dorsey,Ronnie Dukes and Rikki Lee etc. This must have been in the late 1960s,70s,80s. I can assure you we are not related. Remember Pat Nolan? Wasnt Harry and Grace the stewards then? After it was Terry Parkin.

• Like 1

I remember Pat Nolan. Harry and Grace went to take over the ESC club on Shiregreen Lane.

Terry Parkin was a decent footballer and I think he played with Central Thursday.

I was still a kid when they were there.

I am guessing that perhaps your dad took over Concert Secretary' s job after my father's ill health and subsequent death.

If your Dad is still alive I am sure he will remember John (Jack) Bagley.

Regards

I remember Pat Nolan. Harry and Grace went to take over the ESC club on Shiregreen Lane.

Terry Parkin was a decent footballer and I think he played with Central Thursday.

I was still a kid when they were there.

I am guessing that perhaps your dad took over Concert Secretary' s job after my father's ill health and subsequent death.

If your Dad is still alive I am sure he will remember John (Jack) Bagley.

Regards

I remember Jack Bagley. So you are his son? Terry lives in Mansfield now married to my cousin. Harry passed away years ago but I dont know about Grace. By the way my father passed away in 1993. Regards