Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

Looking back through these replies the thought that comes to mind is that years ago many of the named acts were local.

I recent years all you saw was a notice board with 'Brilliant North East Band',

'Sensational Vocalist', 'Fabulous Duo' from 'British West Harlepool'.

The club and concert hadn't a clue who they were getting, one thing was certain very few were local and we all knew the reason why Agents.

Naturaly you're going to want £150+ sticking on your fee if you're going to travel bearing in mind that around £30 of that extra fee goes to the agent.

It's sad to se this decline as WMCs were one of the few places where families could go to for a night out.

Clubs have spent needless £thousands per anum on agency acts.

I was a member of hillfoot club from 1966 you could only join if your dad was a member bill platton was the doorman had known me all my life but wouldent let me in if I forgot my club book I am a bottom rooard lad from hobson Ave happy days

I seem to think my first pint was when my dad took me into a club on Penistone Rd <Its been a long time but around wood st ? just going into the army at 17

tha reight it were hillfoot club building still there think its a store of some sort

I was a member of hillfoot club from 1966 you could only join if your dad was a member bill platton was the doorman had known me all my life but wouldent let me in if I forgot my club book I am a bottom rooard lad from hobson Ave happy days

I used to go in hillfoot club in the early 80,s and the doormans name then was robbo, he new us well but we still had to produce our cards and sign in.the last time i paid my subs was 1988 at eastwood veiw, rotherham, does anyone know if its still going?

• 1 month later...

We used to go on a lot of trips with working mens clubs in the 70's. My father and his brothers were members so as kids we went on trips with Manor Club, Park & Arbourthorne, Arundel, Wadsley Bridge club and the Limes which was on Barnsley Road. We used to get a goodie bag of crisps and pop and also some money to spend when we go to wherever we were going. Usually Bridlington or Skegness but I do remember going to Blackpool once. They were the days when everybody stuck together.