Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

When my band used to play the Sheffield clubs in the 70s we were always annoyed when we played at either of the clubs on City Road, Manor Social or The Arundal because they used to stagger the houses of bingo between them. The bingo would finish in our club and just as we're walking on stage, half the audience would disappear off to the club next door to play bingo there. We took it personally until we realised what was going on.

When my band used to play the Sheffield clubs in the 70s we were always annoyed when we played at either of the clubs on City Road, Manor Social or The Arundal because they used to stagger the houses of bingo between them. The bingo would finish in our club and just as we're walking on stage, half the audience would disappear off to the club next door to play bingo there. We took it personally until we realised what was going on.

Now that happens but everyone rushes out for a Fag

I've just joined this forum, wish I'd done it sooner.

The Clubs played a huge part in the community, I remember visiting several with my Dad in the mid-60's in particular Darnall and Greenland Road. I can't recall which one it was but the room seemed quite small compared to places like Woodseats and The Arundel.

Then in the 70's I used to go to a number of places around Hillsborough, incuding Dial House, with my Ex and her dad. He liked to go dancing and seemed to have a lady partner waiting for him in most of the clubs.

Is there still a club magazine/What's on guide produced? Do most of them still do a lot of Ballroom dancing?

Edited by NoWayHosey
spelling

Not so long ago before the smoking ban the wife and I went in the Woodseats WMC. As we walked down the stairs the fire alarm went off. The doorman said, 'take no notice, its when they're all smoking in't concert room.' I opened the door and it looked like a sea fret was coming in. About two feet hanging from the ceiling was a bank of smoke. Women sat with babies in prams. When I think back to that evening, are people really serious when they want smoking to be allowed?

• 3 weeks later...

Used to work at hillfoot steel next to the Hillfoot WMC almost 40yrs ago.We would load the furnace up dinnertime'ish and Charley our hammers 1st man would drag me (2nd man) and the hammer driver into the club where he would sink a couple of pints to our one and then it would be back to forge the steel billets that were ready in the fire.

If we were lucky enough to be sat outside on the pavement cooling down when the dray wagon arrived to deliver the beer they would fill our tea cans up for free.

Ahh happy days

As a Crookes lass we always used to go to the club. I remember seeing the Nolans there when the youngest was a little girl, their mum & dad used to sing too. We used to go on the club trips, all the kids would sit on one 'charabang' & the adults on the other, then we would get pop & crisps on the way & the first one to spot the 'tower' got a cheer! Happy days

I too went to Crookes WMC. We went to Mablethorpe when I was there. I remember the Nolans. My dad collected glasses. I had my 21st birthday there and the resident band played at my wedding.

we also used to go to the pantomime at the Lyceum.

my brother used to sit outside on Guy Fawkes night and collect money from them going in and then go back later when they were leaving to get more money. They never remembered they had given money before.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sheffield foundry was my working mens club and now its been closed down, i was i life

member and just has people paid their subs for this year - it shut.

although it was a matter of time as it`s been dwingling for last few yours,

bingo prize money for a line were sumut like £5.

it did`nt cover my taxi both ways.