Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

3 clubs on City Road (late 60's) (Arundel Ex Servicemen, Park and Arbourthorne and Manor Social), used to stagger starting times for their "turns", with a bit of luck you could catch 3 or sometimes 6 entertaining spots and all within a few hundred yards trot. Plus a pint with each act, goes without saying.

Edited by patto
club names

Cost of Friday night out 1968

1 Pint Wadsley Bridge Game of snooker =2s 6d= 12.5p

1 Pint White Horse =2s 0d= 10.0p

1 Pint New Inn =2s 0d =10.0p

1 Pint Railway =2s 0d =10.0p

1 Pint Travellers =2s 0d =10.0p

hic

1 Pint Gate =2s 0d =10.0p

3d bus fare to Magnet =0s 3d =01.5p

1 Pint Magnet =2s 0d =10.0p

bag of chips salt n vinegar =0s 6d =02.5p

bus fare to work Sat Morn 05.30 =0s 4d =02.0p

bus fare home 14.30 =0s 4d =02.0p

Total =? =80.5p

Not added up in £ S D since 1972

But as you see 3 bus journeys

1 bag of chips and several pints and still jingling in pocket

Hard times my ar*e !!!

Worked 6am-5pm (5)days

5pm-6am (5)nights

plus every alternate weekend 6 till 2 or 2.30

Knac**red now though

Edited by patto
mixed me am with pm

My itinery around 68/69

Monday Night-Southey or Pitsmoor WMC

Tuesday Night- Hillfoot, (Our Clubs arrived from printers on nearby Burton Street) Start planning for following week

Wednesday Night- Tap Room Five Arches

Thursday Night- Southey again

Friday Night-Wadsley Bridge WMC Snooker and either watch turn or pub crawl White Horse, New Inn, Railway,Travellers, Gate, bus to Magnet for last orders. (and change from a pound note)

Saturday Night- Big night out Dial House or one of the City Road Clubs

Sunday Night- Carlton Social Gleadless Had to spend some time with girlfriend and her family

back to Monday again

What about Sunday dinnertime ?

Saturday Dinner

Welcome chinese restaurant West Bar

3 courses usually soup, main course, chinese menu or omelet and sweet, pineapple fritter my favourite. Total cost 5s od(25p in continental money). Then if no footy, Moseley Arms West Bar. Kids today have no stamina.

Cost of Friday night out 1968

1 Pint Wadsley Bridge Game of snooker =2s 6d= 12.5p

1 Pint White Horse =2s 0d= 10.0p

1 Pint New Inn =2s 0d =10.0p

1 Pint Railway =2s 0d =10.0p

1 Pint Travellers =2s 0d =10.0p

hic

1 Pint Gate =2s 0d =10.0p

3d bus fare to Magnet =0s 3d =01.5p

1 Pint Magnet =2s 0d =10.0p

bag of chips salt n vinegar =0s 6d =02.5p

bus fare to work Sat Morn 05.30 =0s 4d =02.0p

bus fare home 14.30 =0s 4d =02.0p

Total =? =80.5p

Not added up in £ S D since 1972

But as you see 3 bus journeys

1 bag of chips and several pints and still jingling in pocket

Hard times my ar*e !!!

Worked 6am-5pm (5)days

5pm-6am (5)nights

plus every alternate weekend 6 till 2 or 2.30

Knac**red now though

It was one and eight a pint when I worked at Smithywood.

I was working there when the money changed to decimal, talk about laugh. With 12 pennies to the shilling, 20 shillings to the pound, and denominations of 3,6,12,24, and 30 (half a crown) pennies, and beer at one and eight a pint, they could figure out how much four pints and four lager and limes was in a nano second.

Then it changed to 100 pence to a pound and no one could figure it out. They used to just stand there holding out a hand full of cash for you to take what you needed, :hihi:

I remember the smithywood club of woodseats road if you wasn't on the door waiting for it to open you were lucky to get a seat the place would be packed to

the rafters at the weekends.some grate turns there, Ron Delta .the Discos .

Wilfjay Flywheel. Marti Cane. Tony White. Tony White would take the mick out

Mr Liversidge who was the concert sectary calling him mr Liver sausage ;there was many more turns. there was a guy who called him self Mr memory he would answer questions on stage the most obscure questions he seemed to know them all. pie and peas in the lounge. bingo £200 jack pot and a cheap night out

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone remember The Our Clubs booklet in the sixties and seventies it held all the concert nights of the clubs in the Sheffield area.There were the big clubs :Dial House ,Smithywood,Manor,

Arundel,St Phillips and the small ones: La Plata,Hartley House.

A group could have a full diary for the year and never go out of the area there was so many.

I remember seeing Bitter Suite at the Dial House when they had the brass section,wow what a full sound when they played numbers such as "Breaking Down theWalls of Heartache" .At the

Hillfoot Club I remember the "Vantennas" coming on to the high stage such an unassuming bunch of lads far different from the pop star image of the Suite but boy what a sound they dished out from "Penny Lane" to the vocally testing "Good Vibrations".

One incident I remember was one Saturday night in 1967

at Tinsley WMC .The concert room was full to bursting at 8:00pm

but the group had not arrived from the Birminghamarea,Suddenly they arrived for some reason brought the gear through the audience pushing and knocking the audience about .By this time the audience had taken an intense dislike to their would be entertainers and the chairman was in two minds whether to let them on or not.Anyway by 08:30 they were on .An unusual group

who decided to utilize the clubs grand piano but adding a small keyboard of there own underneath.The keyboard player proceeded not to play but to explain to the audience that the small keyboard was called a "Mellotron" consisting of loops of tape and pressing the keys a string sound was heard this was to prove they hadn't a tape recorder under their sleeve.The audience was not impressed familiar cries of "get on with it" were

heard around the room and I feared the worst for the group.Then they at last started to play ,for all the world it sounded like Mantovani and his orchestra was up there not four lads the tune was "Theme from a Summer Place" .I looked around the room it was just like that film "The Producers" with the musical Spingtime for Hitler. Jaws dropped audience aghast.When they finished the number there was total silence then as one the audience were on there feet clapping and shouting for more ,all was forgiven Musical technology had arrived in Tinsley!!

My grandad was the editor of oc clubs books in the 50s and 60s