Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

Amazing. There were some good acts on the club circuit, then! Most of the ones that I saw where dismal. Most of the crowd were waiting for the bingo (as far as I remember). I didn't play that, rather spend my money on beer.

My mother used to like some bloke that sang a bit like Perry Como, can't remember his name. Used to turn up at the Loco Club (Woodside) about 2 or 3 times a year.

Anybody else remember the Loco Club? Or howabout that one at the bottom of Fife Street in Wincobank? What was it called? (No, not the conservative club).

Wasn't it amazing, the number of places you could get in to with a club card. Shame the birds didn't see it the same way.

the one at the bottom of fife street was called the wincobank and blackburn, and closed a couple of years ago . as for the loco club at pye bank pitsmoor i used to go there with my dad on sunday dinners where they had a singer singing to a grand piana had my first taste of beer at 8yr oldd thought it was disgusting stuff

Remember the Grimesthorpe WMC that was a good old club long gone two snooker tables down stairs concert room up stairs think its a doss house now,what a shame had some good times in there.:sad:

• 2 weeks later...
Remember the Grimesthorpe WMC that was a good old club long gone two snooker tables down stairs concert room up stairs think its a doss house now,what a shame had some good times in there.:sad:

--------

hi yer not far wrong its a place for homeless people, druggies and other

things.

i was a member upto 1974 then i took membership at another club

but had some good times there. :hihi::hihi:

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone remember the comedian Ron Delta? We used to follow him from club to club. He was very rude and attracted a lot criticism in those days. But the clubs were always full when he appeared.

Ron Delta (John Jennings) was my Uncle sadly he passed away many years ago he stopped performing when he went blind but I know his wife and family still live and Sheffield even if I've lost contact with them

It was lovely to see someone remembers him he was a good man and a good comedian and I loved him dearly x Rip Uncle John

Ron Delta (John Jennings) was my Uncle sadly he passed away many years ago he stopped performing when he went blind but I know his wife and family still live and Sheffield even if I've lost contact with them

It was lovely to see someone remembers him he was a good man and a good comedian and I loved him dearly x Rip Uncle John

I knew Ron Delta very well my Mother was a pianist/organist at Intake sports club and later at The Marples and was a good friend of his she sadly passed away 4 years ago but I can remember when Ron and Diana Dell (Mary Nelson) and my Mum used to get together there was always lots of laughs.

I knew Ron Delta very well my Mother was a pianist/organist at Intake sports club and later at The Marples and was a good friend of his she sadly passed away 4 years ago but I can remember when Ron and Diana Dell (Mary Nelson) and my Mum used to get together there was always lots of laughs.

Thanks for your reply it's nice to know he's remembered with a smile... I can only remember he had smelly feet lol which he always used to joke about... do you have any news of his wife and children?

Ron wasn't a good comedian.......he was a great comedian. I, along with a good many others, played at a benefit concert for him at Firth Park WMC when he 'retired'. However, he did make a brief comeback. I worked with him a couple of times after he went blind........Like the pro he was, he would turn up early and pace all the stage out, so that he knew where everything was. He started off his routine with a couple of gags about his blindness. I've talked about him on these pages before, he was one of, if not THE best comics I ever saw. Working with him so many times over the years, I knew a lot of his routines off by heart....nevertheless, he still made me laugh....... a truly funny man....on and off stage. As you may have guessed, I loved him to bits.

Thanks for your reply it's nice to know he's remembered with a smile... I can only remember he had smelly feet lol which he always used to joke about... do you have any news of his wife and children?

No sorry I think that my Mum and all the club acts lost contact with each other as they got older sad really when they had spent so much of their lives together..

Ron used to play the Travellers on The Moor with his drummer mate who i think was called Bobby, The travellers used to be packed when he was on the best comedian i have ever seen some of these modern turnes on the telly couldn't lace Ron Delta,s boots.

Edited by cuttsie
CAPITAL T